Qobuz in Canada soon in may

Today in french news paper in Montreal

This is the end for QUB music
[Home] [Culture] [Music]
Launched with great fanfare in May 2020, QUB music was destined to be a Quebec option for the online listening giants Spotify and Apple Music. But the service never met the hoped-for success.
Renaud Philippe Le Devoir Launched with great fanfare in May 2020, QUB music was destined to be a Quebec option for the online listening giants Spotify and Apple Music. But the service never met the hoped-for success.
Étienne Paré
3:18 pm
Music
After announcing the elimination of 240 positions, Quebecor is cutting its digital component, notably in its QUB Music platform, which will cease its activities and merge with a major French player in online listening.

Launched with great fanfare in May 2020, QUB music was to be a 100% Quebec option for the online listening giants Spotify and Apple Music. But the service never met with the expected success, even though it offered its subscribers a competitive catalogue compared to other platforms.

According to our information, the playlists currently on the QUB Music app will soon be hosted on the French platform Qobuz, which will be entering Canada within the next few weeks. QUB Music subscribers will also be able to join Qobuz, of which Québecor was already one of the partners.

If QUB Music bows down, QUB Radio, Quebecor’s digital radio station, will survive this vast restructuring plan announced on Thursday, the details of which will be announced in the next few days. It is already known that the TVA Group will lay off 140 people, which corresponds to nearly 11% of its current staff. This division includes not only the TVA network and its specialty channels, but also MELS magazines and film studios.

2 Likes

That is great news, do you know if it will be available throughout Canada (Ontario) or just Quebec?
Where do I look for this info?
Edit: found it with a google search :+1:

I live in Montreal and have eagerly been waiting Qobuz!
As for as QUB radio failing, I am sad for Québec jobs being lost. But, I am glad Pierre Peladeau suffers a loss! He is the most anti union SOB in Québec!

2 Likes

I live in Canada as well and currently subscribe to Tidal. Does Qobuz have a better jazz and classical music catalogue compared to Tidal?

Same here. A Montrealer eagerly awaiting Qobuz and hoping their “sublime” tier will be available as well.

1 Like

Really good news for the Canadians to have a hi-res alternative to Tidal. Thanks for the heads up, @Pierre

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.