Qobuz on older streamers

Well simply use Tidel instead of Qobuz on your 272 and buy/download the music you want to have on your Melco in WAV format.
This is the way I do it and it works and sounds great for several years now without somekind of magical software update……

Happy music regards from a 272 Naim fan who thinks enjoying music is where it is all about!

I echo this remark. Bubblesoft/Kazoo were a much better option for Qobuz lossless sound quality and app functionality in my system.

1 Like

Good point @ElMarko

Both Linn (and I believe Lumin) play Qobuz in their apps to all their streamers, not just the current models. Why not Naim?

Several helpful contributors have mentioned Bubble UPnP, which is a valid workaround for PC users, however nobody should have to source a PC to play Qobuz on a Gen 1 streamer. Also not everyone wants a PC on their lap or in their listening room to play music. All should be available from the OEM app, as Linn (etc.) have achieved.

I was reading with interest that even the current equipment owners are having issues with the Naim app and Qobuz, but at least they have some functionality in the app

It really all shouldn’t be that difficult.

To be clear, Bubble app works on my NAS which is stand alone in my network. Same for Tidal as well.

You don’t need a PC to use Bubble UPnP Server. Neither for the client nor the server.

For those who have a first generation streamer the SQ is excellent using Bubble.

2 Likes

Right. An Android phone/tablet with only the BubbleUPNP app available from the Play Store installed on it will stream Tidal/Qobuz/NAS, etc to first gen streamers nicely.
You don’t need BubbleUPNP server installed anywhere.

1 Like

Yeah, I find that Tidal, local and iradio sounds excellent thru my NDS/Hiline/SN2. I’m in Canada so Qobuz isn’t, and probably never will be, available here, but I’m fine with what I have for now.

1 Like

@david1111, if you want to try Qobuz, all you need is a VPN connection…

I always have a VPN running to encrypt my data, but I’ve been reading variable results from other Canucks trying to set up Qobuz with just a VPN.

Interesting! VPN was what I used for Qobuz subscription before it came to the US. Once the subscription was done, I just logged in Qobuz normally without VPN.

Yes, I think they’ve upped their game a bit and made it more difficult to bend the rules.

I see, so they’ve closed the loophole. My Qobuz subscription is still in French, but this is Ok because I used to be fluent in French .:blush:

1 Like

Do you have a trusted friend or family member in a country where Qobuz is available? You could send them the money for a Qobuz gift subscription and they could gift you the subscription and you could redeem it with a VPN to USA. That might work as you wouldn’t need to enter any billing information.

One person who said he got around it, had a US credit card to pay for his monthly account on.
That’s the only way I’ve heard lately. I don’t have a close friend out of the country.

So… thanks for all the suggestions and back to the original question and to summarise the responses so far

1. Upgrade my Muso to a Muso Gen 2/Atom, for example = cost
  2. Buy an Android tablet/phone and run Bubble = cost
  3. Run Bubble on a NAS = cost
  4. Switch to Tidal = cost (as I already subscribe to Qobuz for an NDX 2 elsewhere)
  5. Buy Audirvana and suitable hardware = cost
  6. Accept that then Gen 1s we’re not designed for Qobuz, so tough luck Mr. customer
  7. Continue with MConnect and accept that Naim cannot implement UPnP access in the Naim app, despite it playing UPnP Qobuz via the app when initiated by Bubble/MConnect? Personally I don’t believe that, MConnect is not a UPnP server, just a bridge. Put the bridge in the Naim app.

The last is my real point. Surely it would be a service to all Gen 1 owners, even though all the above workarounds (and possibly others) are being used, many of which have come at cost to Naim customers. We all buy Naim for quality and longevity and yet other manufacturers ( e.g. Linn) have managed to keep their platforms “all inclusive”.

I’d still like a comment without hypothesis from Naim on the technical or financial possibility/impossibility of including a UPnP bridge in their app. If the answer is financial, it needs to be balanced against customer loyalty as new users starting with 2nd hand/cheaper options upgrading to newer hardware, safe in the knowledge that product longevity is still a Naim benefit, as opposed to the disposability of many other competitor products.

A bit harsh I feel.:astonished: My car cost 21k in 1989 and the manufacturer has never offered any upgrades and only came with a one year warranty. :wink:

It’s been a while since I tried MConnect but last time I did it was awful both with Tidal and Local. Maybe Naim thought the same?:thinking:
So I sorted a Bubble server system on an old laptop with staggeringly better results. I never returned to the Naim App, I use Roon now but I have done a comparison and Bubble’s SQ is the same. :slightly_smiling_face:

I tried Mconnect recently and found it very good with local files. Even better than Naim app for acoustic music and vocals. Naim app has more weight and body.

Where’s the NDX2? If it’s on the same network as the Muso, then you can multi room Qobuz from the NDX2 to the Muso.

1 Like

Thanks @Guinnless and yes I was a bit provocative there. Possibly to much Guinness when I wrote that. I once owned a Datsun and look where that got me :joy:

I agree there are workarounds I can apply should I wish, I’m lucky in a sense that I can afford to ditch the Muso 1 and move on. I’m making a bigger point though, not just for my humble Muso 1 but for all the NDS/272/Muso 1/QB 1 etc. owners out there - that all the tinkering and applying sticking plasters of additional hardware/apps wouldn’t have been necessary with what seems a fairly simple app upgrade, which other manufacturers have achieved. I’d love to see the collective time estimate of all the Gen 1 owners efforts to put workarounds in place, as opposed to sitting back and enjoying.

I too use Roon in my main location, maybe there’s my long term resolution as I understand Roon Mobile is on the roadmap. Won’t help everyone unfortunately.

1 Like

Thanks @frenchrooster , good feedback. I’ve no problem with MConnect itself, but as I responded to @Guinnless, should we all have to spend time trying out multitudinous alternatives and reverting to third party apps as opposed to having the functionality available in the first place?

I know some like to tinker and I’m not excluded from that, to a point, but how much more relaxed we’d all just be sitting back and enjoying the music :blush:

1 Like