Qobuz...Tidal

I am sorry to hear you are having hassles like this Njb.

My experience has only been with a few specific albums which happen to be favourite Hi Res titles by Oscar Peterson. I have assumed this is an issue with Qobuz and not a Naim Ap issue.

No, I have been listening to Qobuz for the past couple of months with no issues.

I almost exclusively use Qobuz with 1 to 3 hours a day typically, with a range of data rates from 44.1/16/2 to 192/24/2 and I have not had one single issueā€¦ Qobuz appears rock solidā€¦ as I would expect for the relevantly small data rates involved.
So the issue might lie elsewhere.
There was an issue with an earlier Naim firmware, but I believe now addressed.

Still have both services. They compliment each other as what one lacks the other offers and this works both ways. I did ditch Tidal then after a few days reverted back as I wanted to listen to a few new releases that were not and still are not on Qobuz. I really donā€™t feel any one sounds better than the other when itā€™s like for like especially via Roon. My Roon radio plays equal amounts of music from both services and I canā€™t pick out one from the other.

3 Likes

I have both and will keep both. I use them for Sonos throughout the house, on the boat and in the car. Itā€™s a very small price to pay when you look at the overall picture.

I agreeā€¦ Even on my lowly MuSo 2, I find that Tidal is too bright with a high frequency ā€˜ringingā€™. Possibly related to presbycusis, I know, but not evident with Qobuz, which has a massive stereo image, filling the whole wall and with a lovely warm tone.

Interesting, to me it seems theyā€™re the same price, or is there somekind of Naim deal Iā€™m not aware of?

I currently use Tidal, but would be interested in trying Qobuz, but how would that work with my 1st gen Qbā€™s?

Can you describe your system & network and how you currently use Tidal?

Is the Muso Qb your only piece of hi-fi kit?

Not sure how I use Tidal now is relevant to how Qobuz could be used in the future, but sure.

We have a Star and two Qbā€™s (1st gen).
On the Star I tend to use the Tidal app, as the Naim integration isnā€™t very good IMO, and connect via Chromecast.

Iā€™ve also hooked up ChromeCast Audio dongles to both Qbā€™s, but on those I do tend to use the integration as I need to go into the app to change input anyway. Automatic input sensing/selection would be nice, I might suggest it. Although I doubt Naim would consider adding new features to legacy devices.
And thereā€™s also the annoyance of the two independent volumes of the Qbā€™s and Chromecasts. So only rarely, with multi-room, do the CCAā€™s get used.

Perhaps itā€™s relevant to note that we donā€™t own any Apple devices.

HI n-lot,

I was interested in your network setup, because that is likely to influence the way you do this. Specifically, I wanted to know if you had a NAS on which you store your local music store (if in fact you actually have one).

Given that your Qbs are 1st gen, you wonā€™t be able to use integrated Qobuz from your Naim app. However, you should be able to access Qobuz on your Qbs by using BubbleUPnP installed on your NAS if you have one, or on a suitable computer.

I used to use BubbleUPnP, but now use Roon as my front end which makes life very much easier. Iā€™m sure there are others on this thread who could give you more information about installing and using BubbleUPnP than I can. Unfortunately, I donā€™t think you will be able to resolve your multi-room issues though without using a front end such as Roon which would be a quite expensive solution to your issues.

Thanks for your response. I do have a NAS, so that could be a solution. Iā€™m unlikely to start using Roon. Maybe at some point I should just upgrade the Qbā€™s to gen 2 (Assuming Qobuz has chromecast support), although thatā€™s an expensive option as well.

The Mk2 Musos will be getting Qobuz support soon, so you wouldnā€™t need to mess around with Chromecast.

That would depend on the quality of the integration. With Tidal the Tidal app is miles ahead, but Iā€™m happy to be pleasantly surprised. Plus, at the moment I donā€™t have mk2 musoā€™s

True, there are some features of Tidal that are not available in the Naim app. MyMix, for example, but this also doesnā€™t work in Roon, and I believe this is a limitation imposed by Tidal.
I find Qobuz via the Naim app to be OK. Last time I tried their app via Chromecast is was dreadful. The volume control was pretty much unusable, gapless didnā€™t work, etc.

Not sure if this helps but I now use Qobuz on my Nova and then with multiroom I can also share it with my Muso QB1. I then turn the Nova volume to zero if I only want to listen to the Muso which is in a different area of the house

Thanks for the suggestion, but donā€™t think that would fully do it for me.
While I do sometimes use the multi room, itā€™s also nice if different members of the family can listen to different things at the same time. Which probably in practice is used a bit more often.

I guess I would have to use the ChromeCast functionality to the CCA, and just learn to live with the above mentioned limitations.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.