Qobuz vs Tidal again

It’s not only Qobuz who do this and I’v assumed these are dates or re-release/remastered versions but I also find it annoying they don’t provide the original release date information.

The Qobuz mobile app has always suited me until recently once I accepted Chromecast was useless for audio. It handled a fairly large library well until it got over 100GB of downloaded content and is now very slow. I also find you need too many clicks to select audio output/volume with playback.

The desktop app is better than it used to be but far from perfect - I have decided it is potentially an easier way to download purchases for backup/media servers/memory sticks etc than doing so via their web pages. There is no need to download a tar archive and decompress it, but it only downloads in FLAC format currently unlike the options available on the web pages.

The Qobuz catalog is chaotic and confusing, disgusting.

I wouldn’t go that far.

I’ve often wondered if they simply have their own unique, perhaps unreliable approach to metadata and have stayed with it for a semblance of consistency, or if the tracks come like that from the French distributors for the labels.

Clearly you e not tried using Apple TV.

I have a node2i and send signal to qutest dac, and when I play mqa files it changes the color on the qutest view porthole. So I’m still getting to enjoy the hi res music.

1 Like

TT2 is documented as not doing MQA and that was my understanding. What colour do you get on a Qutest?

In what capacity?

I only ask as Apple have done their usual thing confusing everyone by having an AppleTV app which curates various streaming services to suggest what to watch next etc with the hardware named exactly the same.

I’m wondering if Node is doing first unfold and passing upsampled stream to the Chord, so maybe changing the colour?

Apple TV app and Apple TV+ app viaSky Q. Worst interface I’ve seen for some time.

Someone better qualified than I may be able to answer that. I am aware though that Chord do not engage with MQA.

From the Bluesound support pages.

When using coaxial or optical cable from your Node 2i, you are bypassing the internal DAC of the player which is resulting in only the decoding stage occurring and only outputting 24-bit/96KHz audio. To get full 24-bit/192KHz audio you will need to use the analog RCA outputs of the Node 2i to have the internal DAC of the Node 2i process these 2 rendering stages and output fully unfolded MQA.

The node will do the first unfold - unless you set it otherwise (i.e your connected dac can unfold and you prefer it to handle mqa).

I get red when cd quality and when I play mqa it is different depending on recording some yellow and some green

I find Tidal’s ‘quality’ details quite confusing.

I can use Roon for example to play something that looks to be CD quality then I get a lossy stream on playback. In Audirvana which does the first MQA unfold it generally seems a bit more accurate in terms of what is supposed to be played.

Ultimately how does it sound?

Although the coloured lights may be useful in knowing what the Chord device is receiving I think it could ultimately prove a distraction to actually enjoying playback - good for diagnostics but not if you are constantly scrutinising it.

That’s presumably the different sampling rates of the unfolded MQA stream

The “first unfold” decodes to either 24/96 or 24/88 and the Chord the displays yellow for 88 & green for 96.
Of course this isn’t the same as native resolution such as you may get from Qobuz for example.

1 Like

No distraction at all, my qutest is far enough away I have to make an effort to see the sight glass. And I very rarely do. Most of the time I’m just enjoying the music :grin:

1 Like

Yeah same here. I partly struggle to see my TT2 because of my sight; partly because it’s the other side of the room; partly because I set it to dim and partly… I’m just not bothered unless it doesn’t sound great. It mostly does.

I am still waiting for the moment regular visitors enter the room and say “what’s that? That’s new? What are those lights?”. Now, granted not many visitors over the past 22 months but… literally no-one has noticed it yet.

Have you ever had Qutest or did you go strait for tt Hugo?