Quality of new HIFI products

My Unitilite screen has completely failed. I did not keep it on regularly – the display was typically set off. Disappointing given the price and fact that this was my first step into Naim. I have electronics that are older and didn’t cost nearly as much that still have perfectly good displays. It’s frustrating, although not enough to push me from the brand. I guess this is what Naim is counting on?

1 Like

Rega P5 - subplatter was not made perfect as it made grinding noises when the thing is turning. The dealer suggested that I use a pen knife to scrape the excess plastic bits from the surface of the subplatter. I sold the Rega and never looked back.

Yes I’m done with Rega too. Terrible quality control.

1 Like

I owned a RP3 yonks ago and loved it.

Shocked to hear about the more recent quality issues with Rega. What are they playing at!

They probably also shift more units than the others together, so the odd issue is bound to creep up and all the users who get a good one don’t post this info specifically. FWIW no issues with my P8, just to add this to the balance

2 Likes

Just to bring a little optimism to the table…40 years of Linn, Naim and Rega…no problems at all. Maybe my two dealers over the years have soak tested before I take delivery.
Joni Mitchell ‘Night Ride Home’ at the moment.
J
PS…I hope I have not tempted fate.

I use my Naim gear for streaming background music, albeit hi-def, and use old school stuff for serious listening. As far as quality of recent equipment vrs older equipment, I apply a principle to both (and to other things as well), that is; at the beginning of any hobby, the equipment is cheap but nasty, doubling initial investment, at this level, might return an improvement in quality that exceeds that doubling greatly, but, the higher you go in cost it seems the less the improvement in quality, until, eventually, you are spending outrageous amounts for no real improvement at all. The secret is to find that magic point where you have bought the best for the money that you can afford, and can live happily with the result. If you have managed this, tell me how you did it :wink:

4 Likes

Yes, the BL cars sure had their repetative issues, but BL were the only guys that new how to make an everyman’s roadster. I had an original Cooper S and a few Mini’s, not the roadsters, but they were very fun to drive and work on. And Lucas electrics … don get me shtarted …

1 Like

With the Prince of Darkness doing the electrical duties, you would have a good chance of NOT getting started…

3 Likes

My 1978 BL car (MGB GT) is 42 years old in a months time. Yes it has its faults, but on the plus side most problems are quite easy/cheap or even self-fixing. Compare that with some of the mid noughties German metal (Audi/VW/BMW) that we dealt with when I was in the motor trade and the repairs on the MGB were quite straightforward and very cheap!

2 Likes

I had a 1275 mini which never worked properly from new. In the end BL sent down their technical guy who helped matters no end by telling me I drove like a madman. At that point I confirmed his suspicion.
After it was out of warranty a local garage tuner, who did a bit of racing, fixed it and I kept it for a couple of years more while at Uni.

2 Likes

Regarding HiFi, tempting fate, but I tend to find it very reliable and it can last a very long time if not abused/unlucky. Speakers last a very long time, as do amplifiers. The only issue I have had with CDPs is having to sort out the draw mechanism. The only disappointing HiFi item quality-wise has been a Teac Reference 500 series DVD player that gave up the ghost when reading discs after relatively little use. The matching amp soldiers on with no problems, though the remote never working from new.

The idea of major failures or constant software glitches on certain products after a short period of use really would be a concern for me. Having 7 Novas one after the other seems extreme - I didn’t know Vauxhall did so many versions of the model…:wink:

Really, they were always just a great group of automobiles for a bunch of reasons; some of which you have mentioned.
Even the Lucas jokes I tell, like the headlight toggle had 3 settings: dim, flicker, and off; and the Company motto was, ‘Get home before dark’; I say with a firm touch of fondness.

Many excellent memories, and I see you actually hung onto yours, good show … wish I did.

Dave

Was your Mini an S, with twin SU Carbs? Or did they make a standard 1275 Mini with a single Carb?
Either way, I drove my Minis very hard as well. But they begged for it!

Dave

@BigAl
Prince of Darkness. Good one.
For a while, back then, I used to push start my Cooper every morning, by myself, to get to work.
I’d push it along the road with the door open, then leap in and snag 2nd gear, and pop the clutch … away it went.
Tell THAT to the kids these days …

Dave

Dave, even now with an AGM battery in my BMW, I have a 1970s fear of "wasting my battery " as my friend Paul and I were wont to say at the time.

My Vauxhall Ventora II would sometimes cut out if I flashed the headlights as the battery terminals were merely secured with small screws rather than clamps.

Modern hi-fi products Vs older products: like the cars I would guess. Probably more reliable/better and more consistently built but considerably less likely to be repairable as time passes. TBH, I have not really had much kit considering I bought my Goodmans Module 90 and Philips ga212 in 1975.

1 Like

It wasn’t the S but I remember the guy who got it working properly saying it was the carburettor that was at fault and he changed parts on it.
Went really well afterwards.
I don’t know what the make or type was but as the guy raced cars it’s probably, on reflection a good job I didn’t need to claim on my insurance.

1 Like

Just got the aswer from my local Naim service about the new nait XS3 unbalance between channels due to potentiometer. CH left was -3db lower than right. They changed it, and it’s now less than 1 db. Btw this new amp is returning to the dealer.

2 Likes

Nothing can beat the Alfasud Sprint Veloce I had many years ago : there were holes in the wings 18 months after I’d bought it new - and that’s only one of the many tales I could tell about that car. The Mini was utterly reliable compared to it…

2 Likes

That sounds scary …
But Alpha sure got the styling right on the 2000 GT Veloce, circa mid 70s. I always wanted one, but I figured the reliability was questionable.
I got into motorcycles about that time instead.