Question for Herman Miller Eames chair owners

I want to buy a Herman Miller Eames chair for my listening chair.
my hight is 5 foot 10
I have already tested one in a store, it was a classic original height. No store got the taller version on the floor.
The back of the chair for classic original hight version is around same hight as the top edge of my shoulders.
I’m wondering if the back of the chair on the taller version will be too tall and reflect the sound, degrade my music ?
I’m trying to pick a perfect hight for myself.

Thank you guys

I’m 6’1, I have the original, Amazon 2k knockoff, it fits me very well, no reflection issues.

2 Likes

5ft 4, original height back. No sound refection as I use an Atom HE with Oppo PM-3 headphones to drown out the family noise.

“I’m trying to pick a perfect hight for myself.” I’d suggest staying at 5’10".

6 Likes

thanks

hahaha nice one

1 Like

I have an Eames chair and a stool, a replica from the Kalliveg group. It is without question one of the most uncomfortable chairs I have ever used. My wife loves it but I cannot get on with it at all, the support aggravates my back and I have difficulty getting out of it. No neck and head support and it is so long that it takes up a disproportionate amount of space.

Just my opinion.

Tim

2 Likes

You are right to try and get the right one. I’ve tried both sizes and find the original size a lot more comfortable than the taller one. I’m a little bit shorter than you. Do try to sit in a larger one to find out for yourself. It will make all the difference to your comfort.

1 Like

I inherited an original from my uncle who was around 6 feet tall, as am I. I use it in my study, rather than main listening room, where I have ceiling speakers. It’s a great chair for reading in, but not for watching TV, and when I had it in the main listening room it was just not comfortable enough for extended periods. However, now as we are encouraged to move around more rather than sit for long periods I expect it would be ideal for listening to music when you have to flip the album over ever 25 minutes or so.

1 Like

Go and find a Lamino to sit in…! The most comfortable chair I have ever sat in.

3 Likes

I would go for the Relax R Hamilton, instead. 1/4 of the Eames price.

1 Like

We couldn’t get on with the Eames in terms of comfort (although we love the look). We went for a pair of these instead. They’re great.

1 Like

:+1:+1. I have this chair and stool and they are vv comfy (and cool!)

1 Like

I also have one of these chairs designed by Robin Day (no, not that one) and they are incredibly comfortable. They also have these inbuilt wooden bits on the arms which are perfect for holding a whisky glass :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

This has peaked my interest - anyone tried one? The Gamut “HiFi” Lobster Chair.

3 Likes

I find this very nice too. But were put the arms ?

It does look like it might not be comfortable for the arms but there are lots of pictures and reviews around with people sitting in them and they seem to position the arms quite naturally. All the reports seem to indicate its extremely comfortable. I love the design but its the non acoustically reflective headrest thats quite interesting.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing

Being in Europe, mine is Vitra manufactured and I read somewhere there are slight differences in size as well as in the firmness of the upholstery between the Herman Miller and the Vitra versions, the Vitra being the firmer of the two . Seats are very personal so for what its worth I can only say mine is one of the very few comfy chairs in which I can sit comfortably for a longer period of time and I specifically use it for listening to music and reading. To me, any impairment on SQ (assuming it exists which I doubt) is vastly outweighed by what a salesperson might call “the user experience”. So, I would just suggest: take the time to try it and decide if it works for you.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing , did you get the regular hight ? Or taller

I called couple store in my city. No stores carry them … wish I can try it out.

1 Like