Question on Purchasing Muso 2nd Gen from eBay

The graded ones are repacked and you’d think it was new with an A one.

1 Like

I agree. I bought a secondhand (6 months old) grade B and it was exactly like new. And I have bought lots of proper new Naim units in the last few years.

I would be delighted to find a grade A of something I wanted to buy.

Best

David

1 Like

Sometimes if it looks too good to be true it is
Sometimes if it’s too cheep it’s for a reason could be the poor person is on there backside with covid and needs to pay bills or feed the family
Or it could be knockoff or something else
You pays ya money and takes ya chances
Personally I’d leave alone

Google isn’t your friend. Ever. Just saying.

Duck duck go, then. Its just an expression.

Pulled the trigger!!

Ordered Brand New from John Lewis for the retail price (£1299).

Can’t be bothered with all this messing around now! At least I know what I’m getting! :ok_hand:t5::ok_hand:t5::ok_hand:t5:

Read too many reviews now to not make a purchase; already convinced myself - without listening or auditioning - that this is the one!

3 Likes

Enjoy. It surprises me every time someone turns one on. “It’s coming out of this box?”

Better musical choice than the Sonos.

But as a general rule, non-retailer (i.e. off eBay etc,) you should be expecting ½-⅔ rrp for something - maybe more if a relatively new product, but not much more.

Refurbished are excellent, and the other way to pick up good stuff at a better price is ex-demo from a reputable dealer or store. Expect roughly 10-20% off. John Lewis a good shout as they usually offer a free extended warranty over and above the manufacturer one.

Mildly off-topic, but as I’ve recently posted on the ‘new for 2021?’ thread, one thing that would cost Naim very little and gain them a lot of cred would be to make their warranty transferrable. Nowadays to limit it to the original purchaser is poor.

The regular warranty is transferrable - but as, like most warranties, validation is contingent upon the original purchase receipt you need to ensure you get this from the original owner. It’s only the extended warranty that comes with registration after purchase that is not transferable.

Thats intresting. As I bought my xpsdr from a naim dealer as ex demo.
As its a 2017 model that i bought that means the warranty is available to me until 2025?

AFAIK, ex demo does not qualify for any extended warranty. Possibly worth clarifying with Naim if you’re unsure of the warranty status.

This is actually interesting. The (regular, EU) warranty is from when you receive the goods, the purchase receipt will often show when you placed the order / paid. The two can be a significant time apart, especially when buying online.

Do you happen to know how this is dealt with in practice?

@Richard.Dane thanks for the correction - good to know.

However - in reality, no-one keeps receipts, or even gets them in the first place - would a line on a credit card bill or bank statement do? Or an email or pdf copy? If not, then it’s really not transferrable in the real world.

But in reality, it’s high quality kit, and so if you can prove when it was bought, it should have factory warranty for 3 years or more without quibble. I can’t believe it would cost much - stuff is either ok (most of it), DOA (most of the rest) or occasionally faulty in the first month or two. It is rare for stuff to develop faults after a year or two - so why not offer stand-out differentiation and demonstrate confidence in the product? (OK, so marines on Muso and Qube may mean slightly less time, but I still think 3 years and consistency would be a very positive marketing message.

I doubt that very much. When paying thousands, or tens of thousands, it would be advisable to keep receipts and I believe many/most do.

I’ve bought many electronics on eBay. Their buyer protection is great and no one who sells regularly wants a ding. I would not worry about DOA so much as what if it dies after few months

1 Like

so if you think about some recentish largish purchases you’ve done, can you honestly say you can find a receipt for your washing machine? tv? last but one hi-fi box? last car? Maybe one of them, but I’d be very surprised if it was all. (Paper receipt, not e-mailed one).

And not that they may be in a pile in a drawer somewhere, but that you could find them within a few minutes? Genuinely curious.

We are talking about Naim gear that we love and that cost (tens of) thousands. Of the recent largish purchases, yes I kept the receipts of P10, Aria, NDX2, 555PS, 252, SC, 300, and assorted smaller things. Anything else would be crazy.

Bu I also I keep all tv or washer receipts at least as long as there is warranty. Because, well, there is warranty. Usually keep them longer if I ever plan to sell the item (or simply because there is no need to throw them out). Even if it means nothing it is reassuring to prospective buyers. And yes, they are orderly filed. (I may be weird but not sure what the problem is. I am not buying a tv every week and punching two holes and putting the thing into a binder, latest on top, is approx. the same work as the trash bin)

1 Like

Hi all,

Thanks for all your advice!

Just to let you know, the Muso arrived from John Lewis yesterday. Set up was painless, literally a few minutes. Signed up for the 90 day Tidal trial but already have Roon Rock Server - so unsure why I did that!!?? :man_shrugging:t5:

Anyway, would be keen to hear your thoughts on how long this needs to ‘run in’ for? (Like I’ve done with my headphones… 30hrs or so to loosen things up a bit!??)

Initial song… and I started to think, “Oh no! I’ve made a mistake; where’s this deep bass all these reviewers have mentioned?” Very clean sound though, not gonna lie. With loudness on and low volume, bass not really present - at the moment.

About 8 songs in, it started to warm up and some ‘bee-lines’ started to come through - but it was just past 11pm so I couldn’t really crank it! :wink:

Bearing in mind this is my first audition… impressive! :ok_hand:t5::ok_hand:t5::+1:t5::+1:t5::clap:t5::clap:t5:

This afternoon though, we’ll really put it through its paces.

I’m self-employed so keeping receipts for everything is the norm. Paper receipts get filed, emailed printed out and then filed.

I can’t get my head around anyone not keeping receipts for their hifi or anything else worth more than a few quid during the warranty period though. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

1 Like

:+1:t5: