Question on speaker hookup on Naim amps

Hello, I do believe on the back of Naim amps it says something like this
“do not use single banana connections” yet I have 2 pair of Naca a5 and one has the single bananas that I got from a Naim dealer, who i think got them from naim terminated that way.

I am pretty sure I used them that way on an XS2 that I had, any reason for this warning and would it be alright to use them that way temporarily and for a short time, thanks

Don’t fret, bananas are fine.

There is no problem. The Super-Line also has bananas. However, the NACA5 was meant for these plugs and it sounds slightly different when fitted.

The warning is apparently just a regulatory thing, see the amp manuals: “to comply with current European safety regulations”. Because with bananas, you can plug them into European schuko mains sockets. The supplied plugs can’t.

Why Naim thought itself to be bound by a regulation is beyond me, nobody else ever cared.

Thanks, yes I am the USA so it struck me kind of weird…meaning it just didnt make sense, maybe they do it for legal reasons…like Qtips says dont put this in your ear…which everybody does.

1 Like

I’d like to think there are a lot more people who might put a Q-tip in their ear than a banana plug in a power socket, or am I overestimating the intelligence of the human race :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Actually both are a bad idea.
And with the bananas it is most likely about kids. But as I said, Naim is the only company in the world who seems to have bothered.

There are other brands of banana plug out there with fixed spacing to suit their intended sockets, but yes, they are relatively unusual. My impression is that Naim usually try to be fully compliant with any standards that are relevant to their products, but having seem that most others ignored this particular issue, they have abandoned it with SL cables.

Maybe there are, I have not seen one in 50 years. (Or any other metal instrument taking precautions, they sell screwdrivers without mandatory space-fixing devices too :slight_smile: )
If not for Naim, I would have no idea that any such regulation exists

I seem to remember my first electric shock as a child came from a screw driver inserted into one of those UK sockets with round holes that we used to have before the shuttered square ones.

As a child I electrocuted myself to see what it was like .:zap: :relieved:

1 Like

A quick online image search would seem to indicate that they are perhaps more common than you might think.

It’s not worth arguing about it, it’s fine and even commendable if Naim follows whatever, they are actually quite practical too on the NACA5. I just said I never saw any, and these in your pic are from UK, I am on the continent. If they exist over here too, I can assure you that there is absolutely no shortage of banana plugs or any other metal things that can be stuck into sockets, so if it is a regulation, hardly anyone seems to care. And these in your pic without distance spacers, no idea how they prevent anything.

And a lot older. Somewhere in the loft is a box with a crystal radio dad made when I was about 5. The headphones plugged in with a pair of surplus PO Telephones banana plugs. The body was two pieces of SRBP held together by a nut and bolt. When I got interested in making things myself, the local surplus store had all sort of equipment boxes with the same plugs and sockets.

1 Like

Your first? How many were there?

1 Like

A few, not counting static discharge but I haven’t kept count.

It’s strange how this was never an issue with my Super Lumina. Thinking back decades, dealers were also happy to supply me with Naim cables with quality good old fashioned speaker plugs (some in the early days with no insulation on the plugs!). The only time I ever bothered was when I had Naim Ovators (at least at the speaker end) and the UnitiLite and Atom which came with custom plugs. At least they look fine in small spaces. They were always fun to solder!

Ahh … so I was not the only one then… I also sawed through a live electrical cable to see what would happen… well it did go bang!

1 Like

My father was a military trained electrical engineer and whenever he finished a job at home his inevitable comment when turning back on the power was “ah good, no flash bang”. It didn’t really inspire confidence.

1 Like

Some children are just curious.

Even grown ups like this in their early DIY years when they drill though a mains cable - also as my Father-in-Law did a few years back as he drilled through a gas pipe on Christmas Eve. Even the Guinea Pig went mad and ran around on the floor! The Pig I should add survived…