Questions of a Naim newly

No need to leave your gear switched on all the time. If you’ve got valve amps, you might need to power them up 10-20 mins before a listening session.

Hi Richard,
I was not really aware of it. What about if i have CDX2 into cd input and DVD5 into tape or aux, of the Nait XS , don’t remember. Also a CD5XS + DVD into another XS. Does the above apply to these as well ?

Regards
Roberto

Roberto, I can’t recall with the DVD5 (it may be the AV2 as I know there was a signal earth lift service advice), I may need too consult my notes to be certain.

One way to tell; Try them both connected to the same pre, then try each on they own and if they sound much better that way, you have your answer.

Thank you, i will try this

Just two other questions:

Has Naim technically improved their pre amps over the years, ie is a nac 202 from 2021 better than a nac 202 from 2007?

Do you think a hicap dr is superior to a non dr hicap?

Naim will use different components over the years but a newly made 202 is fundamentally the same thing as a 20 year old one. If yours is from 2007 it may benefit from a service, though it’s not critical.

A Hicap DR is significantly better than a standard Hicap. Before thinking of a Hicap you should get hold of a Napsc to power the 202’s digital circuits.

Before adding a Hicap I would be looking to improve the CD5i. A CDX2, as others have mentioned, would be the ideal match for your 202/200.

Thanks. I will be on the look out for a CD player upgrade and will let go on an offer for a non dr hicap.

I would look to get a NAPSC for your 202, ASAP. Well worth it.

Chris - Was that recommended by Naim when using the Solstice with another Naim source (CD / Network player) in the system ?

When I had a HiCap on an original SuperNait, the DR models were introduced and Naim offered DR upgrades to existing units. I had my HC upgraded and it was a major improvement in SQ, certainly the best value upgrade I made and much more than a DR upgrade to my XPS powering an nDAC. Can’t comment on whether that would still be true for 202, though.

Roger

Anytime you have more than one source connected to a Naim Preamp, one of them should be set to floating.

Indeed, you should only have one signal ground to mains earth connection in the system. I wasn’t aware the Solstice was doing this hence my question as to whether setting the ND555 to float would be needed in this scenario.

On my journey into Naim I thought about the following: does it make sense to connect my nac 202 to a flatcap in addition to a napsc?

Certainly to power both pre and CD.
Hicaps are better for preamps though.
In any case you free up the Nap 150 psu too.

1 Like

Yes, you can use a Flatcap to power the 202. How much better it is than the power provided by a 200 I couldn’t say, and I suspect you would be much happier with a Hicap, but if you already have one, give it a try.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.