Questions on CD and Streaming

It’s always good when that happens isn’t it? I started my journey into streaming with ripped CDs on a MacBook into a DAC, the nDAC in my case (no Chord in those days), and then into a SuperNait, so I’m not surprised at your experience. Keep enjoying it.

Roger

1 Like

An interesting ‘brick’ is it not? Rob Watts the designer prefers the optical input but play around and see what you prefer.

Sounds like you bought new. You will still lose little if/when you sell it on but I imagine that will depend on whether Apple Music gets integrated into non-Apple devices.

Enjoy rediscovering your music.

Happy result.

1 Like

Very glad the derailment worked out! :smiley:

If it makes your CD3.5 feel any better, I still listen to, and thoroughly enjoy, the music from my CD5. I cannot quite describe it, but think I’m beginning to understand the enjoyment of overall presentation. The only downside I can see is that I’m now running three sources, and if I rationalised I could probably stretch to a used NDX2 X)

(Good job I’ve never been justifiably accused of being rational :stuck_out_tongue: )

What a lovely group of people here! Thanks to all for the thoughts and encouragement.

@NO-QUARTER I’m sure it is amazing, but well above my audio budget and beyond the capabilities of my speakers, I believe it comes with an ‘instant divorce’ voucher in the box…?

@PeakMan thank your Roger, I certainly will.

@anon27418182 Very interesting. Yes, new. I have never got on with eBay and the only one held by a dealer had just been sold. It may be with me for a while, I suspect, unless we see those integrations. Once it has been on for a few days, I’ll try the optical too and see. I do wish it was possible to turn the lights off though, it draws too much attention to itself for a small brick…

@gthack Very happily derailed, thank you. I’ll definitely keep listening to the CD and a few new rips are definitely needed, as they were not obviously a problem before (its that good!)
I was looking through Naim’s streaming product range last night from a strategic point of view and personally, I would not be surprised to see some significant changes over the next year or two.

Rational? I’ve been a (very technical) creative all my life, so I can get away with murder :grin:

1 Like

And what will a CDP used as a transport sound like through your Qutest? There are a lot of CDPs with digital outputs that could be used as a transport.

I have a Meridian 206 DS that I use through the Qutest and direct (lovely but different sound - warmer, analogue sound). More possibilities. And not a huge outlay required. Try the pink fish if you don’t like the bay.

1 Like

Very reasonably priced Qutest on Pink Fish at the moment if someone is tempted (I am nothing to do with the sale).

I think Rob is right - the optical input is lovely and from a brief test, slightly better (even) than USB.

I’ve heard a lot of DACs but this little beastie is something else.

That bought tears to my eyes when I saw it on PinkFish.

It’s gone. Nothing to be done. It was not going to be around long at that price.

A few people have negative opinions of Chord DACs and have never heard one. Shame really - they might actually enjoy one.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.