(Quick REW question) Room measurement and analysis

No, i am not sure my nac 52 has a phono input. I tried macbook to USB, before ia realised it wouldnt work. But bluetooth does seem to work, just not very well

1 Like

I am still pretty new to this and am not familiar with 52 or 252 but you may need a sound card/audio interface with a digital output to connect to ndx2.
Someone with more experience may know better however.

Looking at it again this morning it looks like I might have a setup problem with the mic. I think the input gain is wrong on the mic. Iā€™ll have another go later and see if i can work it out.

1 Like

OK i have measurements now, the issue was not setting up the levels in REW properly. Seems to work fine using bluetooth from the macbook to the NDX2. From a first initial measurement looks like I have a bass problem, which is kinda what I expected to be honest.

2 Likes

Glad you got sorted. Be good to see your measurements.
Iā€™ve been trying some more listening at the 38% room position which seems to give a more even bass response and less wall reflections. I will take some measurements from here this weekend and compare to my usual listening position.

Hi Stu, would be interesting to see if results from AMROC ( The Room Mode Calculator) would be synonymous with what you are experiencing from your own measurements and what also your hearing is telling you. What is your room measurements and any chance of a couple of photos from your listening space please?
Sorry also I wonder if youā€™d be happy if we got @Richard.Dane to melt your thread into the Listening Room Reality thread, so interested punters has one go to source of info? Best Peter

1 Like

Peter, unfortunately the thread may be too big already for that - the platform tends to choke on merging anything more than a few posts, especially if there are images within. Someone could post a link though.

2 Likes

Thanks Peter
I had planned to attach a sketch of room with dimensions but havenā€™t had chance to do that yet. Will get round to it this weekend. I know of AMROC but havenā€™t tried the calculation.
My room is a broadly rectangular but asymmetrical.
I am generally pleased with how it sounds especially with the infinite baffle ATC SCM40. Bass is so much better than any ported speakers I have tried. As with all things I get involved with I really just want to squeeze out the best I can from my system (within the constraints of domestic harmony)
Stu

Good on you and fully emphasise me :blush: Best Peter

combined left and right at listening position. Speaker volume was set at about 75 db using pink noise.

2 Likes

1 Like

Same information as my first post, but less smoothing.

1 Like

Can you post the spectrograph?

1 Like

Hi haydj, donā€™t want to teach you to suck eggs here, but the good thing is, that if you manage to drastically reduce your 45Hz lift, you will also reduce your second harmony at 90Hz. Itā€™s potentially win win :+1:t3: If money is no object you could try the active (Swiss) AVAA20s bass absorbers. ATB Peter

1 Like

Peter, Iā€™m a total beginner here. All advice is appreciated. Iā€™ll have a look at the product you mention.

Now I have the process working well, the first thing Iā€™ll do is play with the speaker positioning, etc until I optimise what I have. Stage 2 is bass traps.

1 Like

If money is an object you can apply a DSP filter that will mimic what this bass trap does and convolve it in Roon. Post #7 above (Quick REW question) Room measurement and analysis - #7 by Tapp

1 Like

The AVVAs are on my radar. Not cheap and there are limited reviews. Mixed views on gearspace forum but they seem to do the job of taming bass below 100hz where rockwool bass absorbers have limited effect in sensible quantities. I would imagine I would need 2 for a room of my size.
Would have been interesting to hear Thomasā€™s experience with them.

1 Like

Looks a little better than mine. Do you notice the reverb times at 45hz when listening to music?

This is the sketch of my room.
Main listening position is marked X which is 1.2m from back wall and 3.2m from speakers which are 1.9m apart.
Spkrs are 85cm from front wall (front baffle).
I have also been listening from in front of the coffee table which puts me at roughly 38% from front wall and 1.9m from speakers. Bass seems generally more even but it is taking some getting used to - I think I prefer it for serious listening. Will take some more measurements tomorrow, time got away with me today.