(Quick REW question) Room measurement and analysis

The bass is woolly and a bit excessive to be fair.

1 Like

Stu, your room is similar (ish) to mine. Except my listening position is across the room.

90 cm from the front walls and about 60ish from the side walls

1 Like

Yes similar size. It may be worth measuring each speaker individually as they are offset and the left hand speaker as you look from your listening position may be contributing to some bass reinforcement due to its proximity to the side wall? (Compared to right speaker)
Measurements will tell us?

2 Likes

This is a plot of various different speaker positions. The one with the very much lower bass peak is where I stuck a bung in the bass port. I am interpreting that the large peak at 45hz is a room mode, it doesn’t change wherever I put my speakers. The variations between 60 and 150hz are very much dependant on where I put the speakers. I suspect the peak at 80hz is from the back and the peak/null at 100hz is the side walls. So maybe as PeterR says there is a harmonic from the 45hz playing here, but I think there is a contribution due to bass re-enforcement from the back wall and side walls.

Had enough for today, but I think your right I need to check the L and R speaker differences.

I’ll be honest this looks better than I was expecting.

Hi haydj, assuming your ceiling height is the usual 8 feet ( :roll_eyes: ):

This is what amroc throws up. I would agree with StuW that a set up with non equal distance to sidewalls will throw up potential one channel bass problems, but also timing issues affecting soundstage, imaging and coherence. Would moving the set up round ie changing it all round be a possibility ie achieving similar speaker distance to sidewalls? Would be interesting to see if that would see you off to a better start. I’m afraid this game holds a lot of experimenting even if you measure with REW.
An old Danish saying goes like this: ‘ One thing is to wear a Captain’s cap another thing is to steer a ship’ :relaxed: Best Peter

2 Likes

I am not ready to understand/interpret amroc yet. I do get your point, Ive been an engineer in a particular discipline for a few decades now, nothing beats knowledge and experience. But its fun to try and give it ago anyway :slight_smile:

oh and 8ft ceilings :slight_smile:

Changing it round may be problematic, at the moment my listening room is our lounge and its a multi-purpose room, once the kids are older I should be able to re-purpose it into a dedicated listening space, but I think for the time being I may be a bit stuck. I have to work within the boundaries of domestic harmony.

1 Like

left and right speakers, both are “bunged”

We are also fighting the usual 8 foot ceilings, which invariably lend our rooms to cope badly with low frequency pressurisation. Ideal ceiling height would be something like 12 feet. We all more and less suffer the same problems with acoustics. Reaching the point where you are happy with the room finally virtually ‘disappear’ and you get a sound you are happy with takes tenacity and time. Easy to loose the will with it tbh. Best Peter

1 Like

Fully understand :+1:t3: Even small wins can be rewarding though. ATB Peter

1 Like

When I was trying to find best set up in my room (none rectangular, unusual shape, but with some symmetry), testing with REW, indeed confirmed to 38% from the front wall, indeed was best listening position, and gave me speaker positions closer to the wall than I would have expected. However, the setup wasn’t very satisfactory, inhibiting other usage of the room. I therefore used to move my spealers and listening position between “serious listening” sessions and general purpose. Since a change of speakers in October, moving them is not an option, so everything is in the general purpose position (where I sit about 45% of from front wall. It sounds good, but I know more is potentially possible - it is waiting for a bit of building modification, which in turn is waiting for some other happenings - once they happen I’ll do a thorough room re-evaluation with REW, and apply some treatment…)

1 Like

Well this looks much better to me.
Listening position at 38% from front wall and speakers moved forward slightly and a little to the left to be more central in the room. Front baffle 85cm from front wall. Music sounds much better also.
I can’t move the sofa but am happy to sit in a camping chair for serious listening. May have to invest in a decent listening chair :joy::joy:
SPL is 1/6 smoothing.

2 Likes

1/12 smoothing.

Well done Stu :partying_face: Best Peter

1 Like

I need to read up on this as not making too much sense ATM. Couldn’t put exact room dimensions in due to irregular shape.

Looks much better, have you thought about some next steps or is that to use the camping chair (I recommend lafuma rsx)?

1 Like

I tried to put various measurements of your room into Amroc as well, but hit a brick wall with it, so maybe a case of not worrying to much about it, if you’re happy with the sound you are getting now :+1:t3:
In the end our ears should rule this game and exactly what I did throughout. I knew my problem frequency was 80-90 Hz from Amroc and this aligned with what I was hearing from notes in the replay. Thickening of male vocal (or chestiness) and particular deep notes on acoustic guitar/ bass guitar sounded really wrong. As you already know unwanted low frequency to be dealt with first, as it will invariably affect midrange too. Solve that issue and the midrange smoothens out, which is also very clear to hear. Chuffed for you Peter

PS. Can’t help wondering if also putting your ATCs on Townsend Podiums could be favourable ( yes I know they are bit aesthetically challenging but they worked wonders for me)

1 Like

Stu,
Nice effort compared with first test results much more consistent and reduced bass decay - bet it sounds nice too - enjoy.

1 Like

Thanks haydj
Think I will get something more permanent. Maybe a nice small leather chair?

1 Like

Thanks Peter
I have considered the podiums but space is a bit tight for the left hand speaker. I think I may need to invest in a couple of art panels for first reflection points.
I have also placed monsters traps in front of Tritraps in front corners which I am sure has helped.
What is interesting is that listening and speaker positions are the most critical to get right. Trying to deal with room modes with rockwool I realised was realistically futile for a domestic space.
Stu

2 Likes

Thanks Tapp, sounds much better.