Qutest, Hugo TT2, Mscaler

I’ve only used coax and toslink into the Qutest I was tempted to try the MicroRendu but opted for the ND5XS2.

Thanks
I am contemplating either a micro Rendu, node 2i, or simply a new M1 Mac mini which would be used as both a Roon core and USB output to the Qutest.

Simon will you be keeping the mighty 552 ?

Probably not

A question here please regarding a ‘transport only’ streamer.

I’ll be taking delivery of an SN3 soon and will likely be looking at a NAIM streamer to go with it. I currently have a Cambridge CXN V1 with a Qutest primarily streaming TIDAL.

Would a used NDX (c.£1100) be a good option to go for as a dedicated transport? I was looking at an ND5 XS 2 but if I’m not going to use the DAC part it may make more sense to get a cheaper used model and put the spare cash into cables / furniture / XPS DR.

Would I be right in thinking the following too please:

1. No support (and never will be) for Qobuz
  2. Tidal works with the newest NAIM app
  3. In order for Tidal to work I must have the upgraded ‘3D’ hardware and relevant firmware
  4. Question - Can I control the volume of the SN3 with the Naim app if I use a 3.5mm cable
1 Like

I would go for the ND5XS2. The answer to all of your questions is yes.

2 Likes

As Chris says, or if you prefer Zigbee (direct remote control as opposed to relying on only Naim app) , and visual control and visual cue information on the streamer itself… both those are important for me, especially the latter which is incredibly useful in my listening experience, then look at the NDX2… but if your streamer is effectively hidden away or out of sight when listening then go for the ND5XS2

2 Likes

Thanks both for your feedback. Whilst I’d like artwork the artwork of the NDX2 that’s maybe a little further down the line in terms of what I want to spend having dropped a large’ish sum on a new SN3.

Is there a huge difference between the ND5 XS and ND5 XS 2 bearing in mind I’ll have an external DAC?

Yes in a word.
The digital, transport, clocking , noise management and streaming functionality was majorly reworked between the legacy streamers and the current ones.
The legacy streamers can be unstable streaming cloud based lossless content (Tidal) due to internet/home network latency, the new streamers are entirely robust here, and the new streamers have a far greater bandwidth and play cloud streams upto 192/24/2

1 Like

I would just add to Simon’s comments that in addition to the improved streaming board, you get access to Qobuz, which includes a lot of 24 bit material, either via the native Naim app implementation or Roon, and lossless FLAC iRadio, which is a big improvement on the lossy streams you get on most streamers, plus whatever other developments Naim might add in future.

To my ears there is no significant sound quality benefit to the NDX2 when using the SPDIF out, so it’s a lot extra to pay for a remote control and a screen.

5 Likes

Looks like the XS 2 is the one to go for then based on stability and future-proofing.

I better get ‘un-watching’ those eBay items then.

On a separate note this is a really detailed thread and got me investigating the MScaler. Also, I assume the Qutest is a notable improvement in the internal NAIM streamer DACs?

1 Like

I’ve just installed an ND5XS2 this afternoon feeding an MScaler / Qutest and even though the ND5XS2 is warming up its a marked improvement over the Node 2i feeding the HMS (even though the 2i is fantastic in this setup), completely blown away at the moment.

6 Likes

Good to hear Hifiman, keep us posted about the improvements over the Node2i. Now all you need are a set of Wave Storm cables, and a Dave…and you are done.:wink:

2 Likes

That’s what I would do in your situation.
Regarding the Qutest, I would never assume that you will prefer any DAC based on forum recommendations. They are all different, and you really need to listen for yourself and see what floats your boat.
If you do go for a Chord DAC, it has the added bonus of making the volume control on your Naim amp more user friendly. In the case of the Qutest, I would suggest setting the output to the lower 1V level to give the amp a more useable range on the volume pot.

3 Likes

How does one do this, please?

I don’t remember exactly, as I don’t own a Qutest, but from memory you have to press a couple of buttons while it starts up. I’m sure the manual will explain.
You have the choice of 1, 2 or 3V output, so the lower the output, the more of the volume pot’s range will be used.

I’m not allowed to post a link but the chord qutest manual is online.

Hi Gav … I had the ND5XS from 2011 and preferred it with an external DAC (first Chord Hugo)

Earlier this year (9 years on) the screen died and the illuminated Naim logo was also on its way out.

I upgraded to the ND5XS2 rather than the NDX2… simply because the colour screen isn’t visible from my listening position and the Naim App gives me all I need. Plus it now seems than some users are plagued by screen freeze issues, which would annoy me, since I don’t need it anyway (so why pay for a redundant feature) … which brings me on to external PSU’s, which can’t be added to the ND5XS2.

Again this isn’t an issue for me, since I’m only using the Naim device as a transport and I guess the PSU (if it could be added) wouldn’t offer much improvement… unless using the Naim internal DAC… which I’m not using (Hugo)

I also didn’t want to invest a huge amount at this stage, since digital technology seems to be evolving quite rapidly and no doubt the next Naim generation will be even better - the internal DAC might then even surpass the Hugo :grinning:

To my ears, the ND5XS2 sounds far superior to my original ND5XS… both used with Hugo. It is far more stable on my network, it works great with the Naim App and has more features than the product it replaced (ND5XS)

I think the ND5XS2 is the sweet spot and the savings made by Naim by not incorporating a screen or the ability to add an external PSU, means that all the investment has gone into the sound quality of the device … which I understand uses the same streaming board as the other devices (eg NDX2) in the range.

I’m currently experimenting with Spotify Premium (3 months free trial) and I’m very, very happy with the sound. Not even sure that it is any worse than ripped CD’s on my NAS and the ability to stream Radio Paradise in FLAC, all point to the ND5XS2 (when used with an external DAC) being an absolute brilliant sound machine :grinning:

As a side issue, I haven’t had one instance of the device rebooting itself and it has worked perfectly over the past 4 months :grinning::grinning::grinning:

5 Likes

That’s really interesting, thanks. Funnily enough I received my Qutest only today, and one of the first things I noticed was the volume on the 282 needed to go higher to get the same result of the NDX2 alone. Which is why I asked. Will have a read.

If your speakers are inefficient, or in a large room, or you just like to listen at high volumes, you might wonder what the fuss is about. For me, with efficient speakers in a small room, the volume pot on my 282 was almost unusable. I found that using a Hugo with its variable volume meant that I could effectively use it as an attenuator to allow a reasonable range of the volume control to be used.

2 Likes