Qutest, Hugo TT2, Mscaler

haha… yeah, it would.

I was thinking of building a pair of Furutech fx-alpha-ag pure silver cables with Furutech CF-BNC ® connectors… top end cable and connectors but again, a lot less. We’ll see, no rush.

1 Like

I got mine ex-demo for a great price from Nick, maybe worth an Email to him, see if he has any”deals” available.

1 Like

I’m confused. What are Non DC batteries.

Your normal power banks are 5v usb… used to charge mobile phones etc. The Krisdonia and some others are able to replace brick type power supplies as they have a DC outlet as well as USB that you can select the voltage. They have the option to select 5, 8, 9, 12, 15 and 20v.

Just to point out to anyone looking at this. With the Mscaler, you should never select anything over 12v. The reason being is most provide just over the stated amount and if you selected 15v either from a power bank or 3rd party power supply, you may well be putting in more power than it’s designed to take (15v).

I measured my Krisdonia and the 12v measured 12.38v

I think Rob Watts used 12v but you can use 9v as well. This is then stepped down internally MScaler to 5v.

OK thanks.

This afternoon I was considering buying either an Anker 20100 or 26800 to power my Squeezebox Touch, which requires 5v DC 2.4A. I thought you where suggesting the Anker aren’t DC, but I’m sure the USB output is DC.

1 Like

I have stuck with the supplied Chord PSUs (Rob Watts recommendation) for both MScaler and Qutest personally I cannot be arsed to fiddle as the ND5XS2, MScaler, Qutest sounds superb and this is me done now.

3 Likes

The Anker PBs are really good… sadly, I don’t think they do one with a DC 5.5 2.5 connector @12v otherwise I’d get one to try out!

If the SB Touch takes micro usb power they’ll be spot on.

The SBT takes a 5.5mm x 2.5mm plug, so I’ll make my own cable. :smiley_cat:

Note to self. Check voltage required by SBT. :grinning:

1 Like

I don’t know they were marginal… I guess if you suffer from RFI they might be of more benefit.
But you can try before you buy. In the end I felt they marginally gave more… but the stock coax leads I had with mscalar were rather good as well.

1 Like

Sadly my ultima is delayed for several weeks as a result of parts shortage! Even worse Chord want their demo version back. On the plus side my dealer will loan me an etude whist I wait. Hardly slumming it but I’ll miss the jltima!

Gutter. I thought I was going to see a pic of the new amp when I seen you’d replied. It’s good that you’re going to get an Etude to tide you over though… and, you’ll be able to tell us how they compare. I’m sure there are a couple here would like to know!

When’s the exchange happening?

It’s not! Chord have found an alternative demo amp so I’m ok to keep hold of this one. Really pleased, just picked up a Niagara 1200 and NRG3 to experiment with and I’d much rather see how it works with the Ultima

1 Like

Great that you get to keep the Ultima… shame we don’t get the comparison :wink:

Just replied to a post in the “Just bought” thread.

I put together a new power cable for the Etude after reviewing the parts over the last month or two. I previously had a Chord Shawline.

The difference is amazing… I wasn’t expecting the level of improvement I got from this… it equals/betters the TQ ultra Silver XLR’s in terms of uplift.

It was no harder than changing a plug. If anyone wants details of how I put it together etc just ask.

Parts

Furutech FI-11-N1 I.E.C. Connector.
Furutech FI-UK 1363 NCF mains plug
Nanotec Power Strada #309

3 Likes

@dayjay just continuing on from the other thread… probably best to keep chord stuff here… from reading the Ultima Manual, it looks like one of these connectors link to connector

So, yes you will be able to make an equivalent cable, just slightly different ICE connector. Seems that it is the C-19-type IEC variant for the Ultima 6.

Interesting, thanks

I see from your profile that didn’t last long :slight_smile:

Yeah, guilty as charged :grinning:

Given lockdowns etc I’ve just treated it as one long home demo of different gear. I bought everything either 2nd hand or ex demo and traded in via eBay with little to no loss. Actually, the M Scaler was new but as I bought an ex demo, which they couldn’t find, they gave me a new one for the same price.

Its been a great journey from Naim to Naim/Chord and now to all Chord. I’ve tried out some amazing gear along the way and ended up with pretty much my dream system… although I will demo a Dave at some point :wink:

1 Like

Don’t. (Unless you have the cash available!)

1 Like

Haha… that was sort of tongue and cheek really :joy:

I’ve no plans as yet and would only demo it if I was intending to buy. I have no debts, credit cards etc and don’t intend to either!

Has anybody had an MScaler and then sold it? I have an MScaler and a DAVE. After a few months of listening:

a) the impact of the Mscaler is much more subtle than I had expected it to be
b) I am not convinced the SQ with the Mscaler is superior to the DAVE alone

I am seriously considering selling the MScaler and using the funds to upgrade my Naim amplification or else my speakers!

Has anyone else got rid of their MScaler or considered doing so? There does seem to be a steady flow (albeit in small numbers) of second hand Mscalers up for sale…

1 Like