Qutest, Hugo TT2, Mscaler

Yes I did, I found them a bit too much with the Dave resulting in a slightly overly dense upper mid presentation… but bass slam was phenomenal with them.
The Tellurium Q seem to sound more natural and balanced… albeit with slightly less slam and apparent detail slightly reigned in.

1 Like

Did you try the Silver Ultras?.. I’ve a feeling they’re possibly more balanced for the TT2 whereas I found the Blacks a little too heavy for my tastes with the TT2.

1 Like

No I didn’t … the Black Ultras seem to be spot on with the Dave driving the Etude into my ATCs… also no obvious irritating percussive consonants and sibilance that can occur from digital recording blur that I noticed from various silver based interconnects I tried.
Mind you I found the Dave more agile and lightly footed than the TT2.

Apparently, according to the dealer, they’re silver in name only. He said they didn’t go into details as to what they are made of… just that it wasn’t silver.

That said, they do bring out more detail and slam but no edge. I’d still bet that the blacks are more suited to Dave though.

Dcs Network bridge, Antipodes, Nd5xs2, Moon Mind2 were a few I am considering, but nothing concrete yet.

:wink:

I am going to be giving it a go today, WiFi > laptop > Mojo vs WiFi > Poly > Mojo.

M

1 Like

Broken record time …I would add the Meridian 210.

M

@MrUnderhill I’m about to get a lend of something you may have tried in the past… ISO Regen with a LPS-1.2.

I should have the LPS-1.2 later but have to wait a day or two before he lets me have the ISO Regen. He’ll be away on the rigs for a bit so I’ll get a reasonable spell with it. He has a spare 1.2 which I can buy if I like it.

Hi @anon23154165 ,

Broken Record II:
This is a rabbit hole I went down a few years ago. All the devices generally made a difference, whether they were better was harder to determine.

Ultimately I ended up with a NUC powered by an LPSU running AudioLinux. I then found that my chain of widgets could be considerably simplified with no loss in SQ.

The NUC was as good as the dCS NB at one third of the price …IF I had gone there directly without buying and selling other devices.

BUUUUUT, the dCS was so much neater, and as you know I think the Meridian 210 does as much for me as the dCS. That said I am looking forward to getting over to a friends to do the direct head to head.

Is Martin lending you the IsoRegen?

M

2 Likes

@MrUnderhill Na, just a local buddy. Still waiting to find out when I’ll get it. Just depends on when they go away to the rigs… I thought it was going to be this week.

I already have an Intel Roon Rock NUC but it’s using the original power block rather than a LPSU. I should really look at changing it but ideally, want something that isn’t a fixed 19v LPSU as it would be handy to have the option to use it elsewhere should the need arise. Any recommendations from your travels?

I have never tried the top end LPSUs.

My recent Qutest experience has made me even more circumspect. I had not been wowed by the SBooster, then the Qutest was really boosted by it while other LPSUs, such as ZeroZone, had no such effect.

I use a 19v SBooster with my NUC server, and I have used a ZeroZone. I wouldn’t place one over the other and they were a step up over a SPSU.

1 Like

Well, I am rather impressed by the Poly. Whilst I was impressed by the diminutive Mojo, from laptop USB, with the Poly attached I am enjoying what I am hearing that much more.

This is giving me similar levels if enjoyment I get from my nearfield system (TT1 > 140 > LS3/5a).

4 Likes

Hi Toon, looking forward to your thoughts on the ISO Regen. I think I posted that I am temporarily using my laptop as a streamer, so I am thinking about one of these to clean up the USB signal. Right now music from my Core definitely sounds better than the laptop, but I have done nothing to clean up, or re-clock the laptop signal so far.

Will do. I’ve got the spare LPS-1.2 now which is powering the USB cable. I have a splitter cable that takes data from the Roon Rock NUC and power from a small power bank… and now the LPS-1.2.

Shame the LPS-1.2 has a max 1.1a. If it had been 1.5a it would have been the perfect solution to power the MScaler… given its completely isolated from the mains.

1 Like

Purchased a used MCRU LPS for the Qutest this week and installed this morning using a spare PowerLine Lite.

Sceptical and not expecting much over the wall wart I have to say I like what it brings, I cannot put my finger on it but it seems to dig a bit deeper into the music.

2 Likes

Don’t know if you can return it but I found the SBooster + Ultra II had a definite synergy with the Qutest - not heard the MCRU.

1 Like

Picked up the MCRU for £160 on the used market, the MCRU is a two box setup and looks to be put together professionally.

Just popped back after a 2 hour dog walk and things have improved since this morning, seems like a bit of a bargain.

2 Likes

Hi HiFiman,

There is no easy way to try a selection of these boxes and so to know what works best.

M

1 Like

Yesterday I added a bunch of clip on ferrites to the USB cable coming out of my Laptop, which goes to the Mscaler. Also I added a few to the power cables of the Mscaler and TT2. I am still using the power supplies that come with the Chord products. Whatever these ferrites are doing, they definitely make the sound fuller, more toe tapping. I am starting to wonder if just getting rid of RF noise is all one needs.
I am not sure if I keep adding more, it will get even better or not, but I have about 20 more sitting there doing nothing.
Are these things doing what shielded, or expensive USB cables do?
I would like to try physically distancing all these components from each other at some point also. Right now the Laptop is about three feet from the Mscaler and TT2, but the Mscaler and TT2 are only a Fraim shelf away from each other.
Gotta love free, or inexpensive upgrades.

1 Like

I have quite a bit of space between all my components and especially between the MScaler and TT 2 and the difference was noticeable.

2 Likes