Qutest Noise into Supernait 2

I assume your Naim phono pre is providing the ground then? I was told this is typically provided by a Naim source component.

Yes, I see. There is no problem in doing that. Many do. I was just wondering of you were using a two-prong cable out of your SN2 or something. With a three-prong, I’ve read where one bends or loops the wire around the ground and plugs into the outlet from there.

It could very well be my ND5 XS2 (kinda left that out), as I have the switch on the back set at Default.

Is it connected to the SN2 via DIN or just via the digital out to the Qutest ?

Yes, I am using a three prong cable with the SN2. To be clear, you’re saying that some people attach a ground wire from the chassis to the ground prong on the power cord and plug that in? I’d happily do that if it’s safe.

That is what I have read. I imagine it slides or keeping it as far to the back as possible when plugged in. I cannot comment or recommend beyond that. If what you’ve done is working, I suppose I’d not test fate, though someone more knowledgable will likely come along and verify either scenario. I’d do nothing at this point. Just thought I’d comment as having read of this.

I’d wire it into a dedicated plug for a permanent installation. Looping a wire would work but I’d be concerned about it coming loose or touching the live pin.

Exactly.

I hacked a ground pin off an old cord and fastened it to the SN2 ground wire with some electrical tape just to test it out. I plan to attach it to a proper three prong plug as soon as I can pick one up from the hardware store.

3 Likes

Since I’m picking up a plug anyway, does it makes sense to try to optimize the ground wire? I pulled it out of the flimsiest old cord I had lying around.

1 Like

That’s because your ND5xS2 is grounded to the earth

1 Like

I used decent 2.5mm twin/Earth cable to make mine so pretty solid quality.

Judging my some of the very expensive grounding boxes and cables you can buy, it would not hurt to get decent quality mains - cable for house wiring would be very strong but not overly flexible, I used a 50m reel I had of white 2.5mm mains cable.

1 Like

An ESD earth bonding plug would work with an amended earth strap lead to fix onto the equipment.

1 Like

Interesting. What’s the advantage of one of these over a standard wall plug? I’m in Canada, so I would need a North American version if such a thing exists.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.