R-com and nac 52

That’s a bit of a tricky one for me to answer! It would depend on a few factors:
Which logic PCB revision you have.
Whether we (Naim) have any of the programmable ICs left in stock.
Whether we still have the necessary hardware to program said IC.
If the PIC hardware does need to be replaced to run the correct version, the PCB would also need a small modification.
If we have the part (I’ll check for you) & providing you have a compatible PCB, then I’d say it can be done.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

That’s a really good bit of sleuthing Neil, thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks Neil.
I understand that there might be some need of update of boards. This might be more expensive than looking for a pre loved 52 in grayish olive from 1998 or later :slight_smile:
Still love the r com, even if it is for volume only :slight_smile:

Ps: I am from Germany, which could result in more costs as well. If Naim Germany can do it… this might give a different view :slight_smile:

Hi drago,

Good news - we have the bits.
You won’t need any new boards, possibly just a new IC and a small modification to the board.
Whether our team in Germany would be able to do it, I don’t know. But why not return it to Salisbury for a full service & we’ll make sure it gets done for you at the same time! :smiley:

Regards
Neil.

Edit: If you should decide to return it to the UK, make sure that it’s noted on the RMA that you wish the R-com modification to be carried out. :+1:

5 Likes

Hi Neil
Wow…this is really a astonishing service and help you offer here!

Really tempting!

• service means full recap - correct? This is not done anymore in Germany for 52.
  • the lost screw (remember? :)) can be fixed
  • plus update on mir r-com function

Will think about it. No downside except the long transit with some risks for my precious… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes - full recap.
Replace any missing screws.
Flickering logo fix.
R-com compatibility.
Always use the original packaging if possible and list these items against the RMA. :+1:

Regards
Neil.

3 Likes

:slight_smile:
You are a real candidate for man of the year (together with Richard for sure).

When r-com mode is done, is it still possible to change input via numerous pad from hdx remote?

Your offer is so tempting … especially the recap !!! If it wasn’t so far away… my trust in shipping services is moderate. I am one of the guys bringing the gear on my own by car, which is fine with Naim Germany as it is a 30 min Drive… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
I must revise my standards …

Yes, the numeric keys will still work to change the inputs. :+1:

Regards
Neil.

I would like to give my post in here as a wonderful thanks to Neil! @NeilS

It really interests me bringing my 52 to a recapped status! I am a great fan of servicing.
The fear of the Long way and People throwing my precious keeps me a bit away. If the pre-amp were still available, this would not bother me so much, as insurance could bring it back. But with the vintage one…

As a matter of fact we are just planning a trip to wales next year… why not deliver it personal :slight_smile:

2 Likes

drago, IIRC Naim are currently unable to accept personal drop offs and collections of kit due to Covid restrictions. Next year though, things may change, but nobody knows yet for sure.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! Did not know that… too bad. COVID is a beast…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.