R.I.P Robbie Shakespeare

Influential Jamaican reggae artist Robbie Shakespeare - one half of the duo Sly and Robbie - has died aged 68.

1 Like

Sad news. Everybody must have heard Sly and Robbie’s rhythm at some time or other.
:frowning:

1 Like

A colossus of reggae music, the news of his death is so sad.

R.I.P. Robbie.

1 Like

Was sad to read this morning of his death.

Sly & Robbie’s A Dub Experience was one of the enduring soundtracks to my life at University.

1 Like

That’s a shame. Burning Spear provided the soundtrack to many an ‘evening’ in my youth! RIP.

2 Likes

Met Robbie at a London Music Show at Wembley many moons ago, such a nice gent. Great musician and legacy.

1 Like

I’m so saddened to turn on the radio this morning to hear the news.
Robbie was a Titan of JA music and well beyond.
There was a time when it seemed like every record coming from JA had Sly n Robbie playing on them they were phenomenally prolific and the quality rarely slipped.
I’m so saddened to turn on the radio this morning to hear the news.
Robbie was a Titan of JA music and well beyond.
There was a time when it seemed like every record coming from JA had Sly n Robbie playing on them they were phenomenally prolific and the quality rarely slipped.
From the early days where iirc he learned to play the basics of Bass from a young Aston Familyman Barrett, being invited to join The Revolutionaries, the house band at Channel One, as a pianist! Soon after replacing Ranchie Mclean on Bass , where he and Sly further developed the “Rockers” sound and so much crucial music from the mid seventies to the early eighties was recorded.
R-1158893-1198858339.jpeg
His becoming, along with Sly, permanent members of Black Uhuru propelled them to global stardom and at Compass Point in Nassau made superb albums like Chill Out
R-564521-1291214706.gif

I’m posting an interesting interview with David Rodigan from 1981 - when they came to play London’s Rainbow Theatre as part of Black Uhuru, seeing them around this time at Brightons Top Rank is one of my most memorable musical memories and experience -telling their story of how they came togethor etc, well worth a listen

RIP and so much Respect Due!

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

4 Likes

The last time I saw, heard and FELT Sly n Robbie was on a sweltering afternoon at the Garance Reggae Festival in the South Of France.
At first Sly & Robbie came to the stage alone and just jammed togethor, the ground was literally shaking under our feet as Robbie explored the lower frequencies of the festival PA. If that wasnt enough they suddenly stopped, there was some off mic chatter between Robbie, Sly and some sound crew, the crowd became a little restless, what’s going on, some problem? Then Sly says on mic to the sound man, “Robbie Says Turn Up The Bass!” Sly’s kick drum went right through the guts, Robbie does a really low end run on the fret, the ground shook even harder, my knees buckled and I nearly revisited the Rice n Peas I ate earlier! :joy:
Amazing, no one was able to follow that
:heart:

4 Likes

Very sad news indeed. And so young.
Riddim In Peace, Mr Bassman. Your music changed my life, and that of many. No finer epitaph.

2 Likes

Saddened to read this news this morning.

If I saw the names Sly and Robbie on anything I knew the quality was always going to be good.

2 Likes

Some really memorable footage, if horribly grainy, of Sly n Robbie and The Taxi Gang performing on Channel 4’s The Tube (what a great programme that was) promoting their Taxi Connection tour in '86.

I still have my own pristine VHS recording of the complete show

2 Likes

Yes really sad they are the Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones of Reggae music a genre they transcended to influence so many others.

Brilliant analogy.

1 Like

Taken from Black Uhuru showcase Lp later released on Virgin. I bought this when I was about 14 and the opening track below just blew my little reeboks off.

Featuring a certain Keith Richards who quite rightly takes a back seat.

2 Likes

Taken from the ‘Sound Clash’ Lp Judge Not with Dennis Brown. This is as good as music gets for me unparalleled in any genre.

1 Like

You can’t have one without the other from the same Judge Not Lp Dennis Brown.

1 Like

And of course Grace Jones

Grace Jones - Nightclubbing
Recorded at Compass Point with Sly n Robbie

4 Likes

Another selection from Compass Point with Sly n Robbie

Joe Cocker - Sheffield Steel

Also guests Robert Palmer (didnt he record an album with Sly n Robbie?) And some guy called Jimmy Cliff

Better than Chet Baker? :wink: