Radio 2’s Ken Bruce moving on

If you still have the 05, then this might help: Find the Greatest Hits Radio FM frequency for your local area

(click on link).

Thanks Christopher, already checked that.
Oxford, my local FM TX, does not have it. It’s available locally on DAB which I only have in the car.
I’ll stick with the crappy 48k streaming service for as long as it suits us. I will probably bump into him sometime as we live just a few miles apart and share an interest in a local festival. I’ll give him a hard time and maybe he can persuade his new bosses to go a bit more higher-fi

1 Like

Please, don’t be giving them idea’s

Interesting that Popmaster seems to be the property of KB.

R2’s listener numbers will look take a dive when he leaves.

2 Likes

There are going to be big changes to BBC local radio too and there will be little or none left.

Basically it costs too much!

1 Like

I feel very strongly that local radio has been sacrificed on the altar of BBC “talent” wages a la Lineker etc.
Local long term presenters and reporters made redundant so some can earn unwarranted excess lucre…

5 Likes

As I wrote my post that was the name that appeared in my head. :open_mouth:

looks like 112+kbps is available on my NDX2

2 Likes

Apparently Zoe Ball’s salary is only slightly short of £1m.

£999,999 too much!

9 Likes

Hi GM, I have looked at all the GHR listings, & yes it seems different areas have different kb/s rates, not that 112kb/s is that good.
Added problem is they don’t have a localised listing for anything around the Oxford or wider South Midlands area.

WAY over the odds, and why hard working local radio staff are on the way to the dole queue. The R2 breakfast show historically had more listeners than the mid morning show…. Since the BBC ‘ changed its talent to attract a “better demographic” the Zoe Ball show has been losing listeners, Ken Bruce increased his (top show on R2), yet is paid( also huge over-the-top wage amount imho) a third of Zoe Ball’s wages….go figure?
Guess he could argue “constructive dismissal” !:wink:

Indeed R2 listening figures have steadily dropped since 2017 and 18. Not all down to Covid and alterations in listening habits I suspect.

3 Likes

As he is well into retirement age, and with his income as it is, I’d imagine that he does this job for fun rather than money. So moving to a station where he can just play the era music that he likes, with a few old friends there already, will be a big bonus to him. His way of slowing it down a bit, and putting himself first.

4 Likes

I will certainly give him a listen on his new station. His natural, affable manner is too good to miss.

4 Likes

Still miss John Peel. His dulcet tones was like mana from heaven against the drollness which he took an active obliqueness too.

5 Likes

Personally I cannot stand him. A clone of Terry Wogan to me🙁

The last time I listened to R2 in early morning slot, it was akin to the R1 broadcast of yesteryear. No soothing & self-deprecating tones of ‘Tel’ but the ‘listen to me’ tones of someone who didn’t know how to engage with an older audience. Post day 9pm, things returned to expectations.

As for weekends, Anneka Rice and the guests were often just ‘mad’!

Echo that comment completely. My only regret was not tuning in to listen to him in my University and early working years.

You forgot the 99p!!

1 Like

I miss Mark and Lard’s evening show from the 90’s.

Good laugh, good music!

3 Likes