Radio Paradise - 'Now Playing' coming through on FLAC streams

I didn’t realise vTuner now accepted FLAC streams. Nice! And the artist and title show as well.

Does anyone know if the logo can be added somehow?

There has been a recent change to urls to get ‘playing now’ info to feed through - basically replace ‘-flac’ with ‘-flacm’. The original still works without the metadata.

See Radio Paradise Steam links for further info.

CK

Is this for the current streamers only or does -flacm also work for the legacy streamers?

I can’t answer as I use it through Roon to a legacy 272.

CK

Also note the the prefix is http:// and not https:// … seems there is a problem with https and metadata

I tried it on UNiti 1 and it did not work. No metadata. Additionally, the stream stops after 15 sec.

1 Like

There have been issues with the RP streams in the last few days, which now appear to have stablised. there is another forum thread on this.

Roon has accepted the revised URL’s with the ‘flacm’ suffix, although the validation in ‘live radio’ said it was an invalid link… but the three streams I changed worked fine yesterday evening (main, mellow, rock).

Dozey,

I have Radio Paradise and JB radio FLAC streams playing directly through my NDS. It was simply done by setting up each station effectively as a track on a playlist. Somewhere here on the forum, I found a thread that explains how you do it, but it just involves typing out the radio stream address in notepad on a computer and then adding the information into an M3U playlist. The playlist can be named Radio Stations and contain all the stations you want to listen to. You then access any stream you have entered by navigating to your Radio Station playlist and then choose which station you want to listen to, just as you would navigate to any other UPNP album etc.

Hope that makes sense?

Thanjs Jason, it makes sense, but can you explain what an M3U playlist is? I tend not to use playlists.
Also where would it be stored and how exactly do you navigate to it? I last connected a seperate computer to my unitiserve and NAS years ago!

To confirm, for those of us on legacy streamers streaming RP FLAC stations via Minimserver nothing has changed, right? I’m not seeing the now playing info in the Naim App.

Im still getting issues with RP streams via Roon and vTuner. The non metadata ones play better but the new ones skip and eventually dropout cant get mellow to play at all via vTuner.

Agreed I cant get the new ones with metadata to work anymore … very unstable and no metadata
Had to go back to original … which is a shame as it did work for a while a week or so ago

Definitely seems to be a work in progress. Great when it works.

Editing the url in Roon my radio is also a bit hit and miss, sometimes the edit takes and other times it reverts to original despite saving changes.

CK

Hi Dozey,

Its been so long since I set it up, I’ve forgotten exactly how it was done! Thinking about it, I believe this only works if you are using minimserver, but I stand to be corrected on that.

An M3U playlist is a text-based file which can contain one or a number of URLs of audio-based streams which are available via your UPNP server or on the internet.

Basically, I created a folder called ‘playlists’ which is stored in the same place all my music is on my NAS / Melco. Within the playlist folder, I created as M3U file called ‘Radio Stations’, within which I added text using Notepad on my computer. I copied the text from one of the threads which explained how to set up the FLAC streams and it worked! I now access the Radio Paradise FLAC stream by navigating to playlists on the NDS, selecting the playlist ‘Radio Stations’ and in there I see a list of the available radio station streams.
Have a read of this thread - I just followed what others had done on here: https://community.naimaudio.com/t/radio-paradise-flac-and-alac/2415

1 Like

Thanks again Jason.

Spent the evening googling for info re arguments in an m3u file entry, to no avail. Is anyone here familiar with it? The m3u that did work on Minimserver now doesn’t since I moved to Asset UPnP. I suspect that Asset doesn’t like the layout that Minim did. When I try to play a stream the 272 reports that it Can’t Play. Asset is set to xform flac to wav.

My m3u contains this:
#EXTM3U

#EXTINF:-1,[Paradise;flac] Radio Paradise HD
http://stream.radioparadise.com/flac

followed by a few other URLs incl JB Radio 2. All work if pasted into a browser so they’re ok. It’s likely that the value in [Paradise;flac] is causing a conflict in Asset. Is anyone using this approach to play flac streams via Asset UPnP into aNaim streamer using the older tech (272, nds, nd5xs etc)? If so, what’s missing?

Thanks

I think the m3u approach only works in Minimserver which was developed to get BBC streams to work initially.

Never had it working in Asset.

CK

Ah. Thanks for the info, saves me a load of trying to resolve it then.

Cheers :slight_smile:

I had m3u files on my Melco for playing Internet Radio, including radio paradise FLAC streams. Depending on the control software a .m3u file containing more than one radio station entry wasn’t always ‘seen’. Splitting it up to one file per radio station made the files appear. Also try reducing the entry to just the station URL.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.