Random Choices

I stumbled into this by accident a couple of months ago but am beginning to enjoy it.

In a thread about large record/music collections I discovered mine, of about 500 LPs & a similar number of CDs, that I had considered quite large, was in fact exactly the opposite!

However I realised that I have dozens of albums I have not heard in years, many that I had forgotten about plus a few I don’t even remember buying!

So, at least once a week, I have gone to my vinyl collection (will do the CDs when I feel I have finished the vinyl), shut my eyes & picked an album at random. If it is one I haven’t heard for a long time or one I don’t recall much about, I play it from start to finish & listen all the way through.

So far I’ve not uncovered any forgotten gems but I have enjoyed most of what I have played. This week it was Elton Johns 1988 ‘Reg Strikes Back’. Only one track I would play again anytime soon &, given the choice, I wouldn’t buy the album again. Nevertheless , not an entirely wasted 40 minutes or so.

Others I have listened to by random choice, & enjoyed more than endured, include records form Alphonse Mouzon, Ben Sidran & Kevin Eubanks (presumably after his boxing career?).

I’ve enjoyed the experience so far, more than I expected to. How about trying it yourselves?

2 Likes

I average about 4 albums a night at present and make a point of listening to something I love; something newly released;something I’ve not heard in years and something entirely random. It’s not as rigid as that but I try to adhere to it wise I’d only ever listen to new stuff.

1 Like

Just from your own owned collection or including streamed music?

I am restricting myself just to music I purchased sometime ago & can hardly remember much about, including why I purchased it in the first place.

It varies. Old stuff is mostly but not exclusively ripped CDs.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.