Rat Trap!

We had a rat issue in the garden a few years ago. I set up a CCTV camera and caught the bloody thing swinging on a door cabin hook like he was on some exercise machine !!!

Live traps and chocolate are the way forward IMO. Once caught, take the live trap out to a farmers field a few miles away.

Also, get rid of any bird feeders. We’ve had a return visitor recently as my neighbour has new feeders in their front garden.

A lot seem to overlook that simple fact that feeding birds will unfortunately have a knock on effect. We’re guilty of this but luckily we seem to have enough wildlife around to keep rats under control. So far we’ve only seen one which was quickly dispatched by our resident powerful owl.

Very true. We’ve occasionally had to put the bird feeders away for a few weeks. Several years ago, I arrived home from work one Friday afternoon to find four large rats on the bird feeder. We think they used to forage from the woods about two hundred yards away. At first we smothered Vaseline on the feeder poles, and it was amusing to see them jump up and then slide down the pole in true “Wylie Coyote” fashion, but eventually we put the feeders away and the rats moved on.

1 Like

Do rats go on the trains too?

My wife and I both have good bows. The archery club closed down, but we’ll eventually find another spot to set up a target.

I mentioned at the top of the thread that, for us also, putting away our bird feeder got rid of the rats. A buddy of mine left his feeders out and bought an air rifle. He has dispatched 3 or 4 of them so far, but to me it seems like he’s baiting them.

They do in Spain… we once saw one hop onto a train at a station and also, when we got on board (different carriage), we spotted a rat bait box under the seats.

1 Like

I was on a train in India 3 years ago and there was a rat giving birth in an overhead light fitting right above our heads.
Horrifying !!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.