Raymond Briggs RIP

The theme from the Snowman should be on the hauntingly beautiful songs

5 Likes

That’s sad. He had been ill for quite some time I believe. He wrote and drew some truly brilliant books, my favourites being When the Wind Blows - I went to a truly frightening stage version of this in Leicester in the 80s - and The Tin Pot Foreign General and the Old Iron Woman, about the Falklands war. There was so much more to him than The Snowman and Fungus. He leaves a fine body of work.

1 Like

I read Fungus the Bogeyman when I was far too young to understand most of it. Where the Wind Blows was terrifying and angry. Ethel and Ernest just makes me cry every time. A really wonderful artist. RIP

1 Like

I hadn’t realised how much his work had affected me, but the tears in my eyes right now say more than I can express in words.

Mark

1 Like

FB_IMG_1660155025935

1 Like

The BBC has put the animated Ethel and Ernest on iPlayer in memory of him. Very well worth a watch if you’re in the UK and you’ve missed it in the past.

Mark

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I’ll watch it in the next few days. I have lots of his books but had missed this one, a copy of which arrived today.

1 Like

There’s also a documentary/bio film about Briggs on iPlayer.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.