RCA-DIN vs RCA-RCA

Anybody having some experience in using an RCA to DIN interconnect vs using an RCA to RCA interconnect between non-Naim DAC and Naim integrated amp (or preamp)? Is there any noticeable benefit when using RCA-DIN instead of the (in this case) more obvious RCA-RCA?
Thanks!

Hi @Max4

I haven’t done many comparisons, but I’d go for RCA-DIN rather than RCA-RCA.

FYI, there’s a related thread here: Should I be using DIN instead?

1 Like

DIN is technically the better connector, so RCA -> DIN has an advantage, and many people here say it sounds better. But personally, having tested an otherwise identical cable (Flashback premiere), couldn’t hear a difference. Currently using a Blue Jeans RCA -> RCA in the same place.

So my advice would be to use whichever you find more convenient (already own RCA->RCA? Could reuse it later?), but if none of these, get RCA->DIN and ease your mind that it’s theoretically better if all else is equal.

2 Likes

It has been discussed a few times in these pages. An hybrid cable is always better than a RCA/RCA.
This being posted, while I never ran specific tests with my Hi-lines, my RCA/RCA never seemed to tail my RCA>DIN5.

2 Likes

RCA-DIN 100% percent! Have tried many RCA-RCA interconnects expensive ones and my RCA-DIN from Flashback is sooo much better.

2 Likes

Ive got the premier gold plated flashback one but i don’t think its the best you can get for the money. A preh din rca to 5 pin din worked much better in my system with a very open transparent sound whilst the flashback one seems to be a bick thick sounding with slghtly less transparency which is why i’m currently in the process of making my own neotech based copper one with pure silver for the ground. I’ve had a look at construction methods and will be doing a triple twist plated type of cable for rfi and anti-static/magnetic noise rejection. Whether it works well or not will all be part of the fun but i’m told the results can be startling if constructed and soldered properly.

1 Like

Yes go for rca to 5 pin din, changed my interconnect from Dac to Nait 5/11, from an over £120 QED RCA to RCA interconnect, just bought a cheap cable £18 to see if any difference, WOW what a difference, now gone out for a new Chord 2 rca to 5 pin din, interconnect and the difference is incredible My whole system sounds different, improved, extended, more textured base backing singers coming out of the woodwork, instruments sounding more solid, dynamic range vastly improving, more detailed midrange ie voices especially female.
Even if you just go for a cheap cable, you will be pleased
Enjoy.

2 Likes

And, as a sidestep, XLR - DIN or RCA - DIN? (When XLR as well as RCA out availiable on the device)
From DAC (or preamp) to integrated/poweramp.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.