Reaching Naim Customer Support

Hi - I recently purchased a Naim Uniti Star. I tried calling the phone number on your pamphlet (1-800-961-5681) however it went immediately to a Spanish speaking menu and it did not seem as though it was a Naim phone number. I then sent an email to uniti-support@naimaudio.com but received an immediate auto-response that read: “The recipient’s mailbox is full and can’t accept messages now. Please try resending your message later, or contact the recipient directly.”

The first week I had the Naim I also started a Roon subscription trial - all seemed fine. But about 5-6 days in I noticed that Roon which I was running on my iMac suddenly would not allow me to play to my Elac speakers, it did at first (?). Anyhow, Roon tried to only play via my internal iMac speaker which is far from ideal. It does not offer the NAIM as a choice as output. I canceled my trial and removed Roon from my system. BUT it seems that my iMac, using Tidal will not pair via Bluetooth to the Naim. It recognizes all of my other devices except the Naim. I’m kind of miffed, I tried all of the various troubleshooting suggestions, but even though the Naim says ‘Ready to pair’ the iMac is not showing the Naim in its list of devices like before. I’ve restarted my iMac to no avail. I can play Tidal via my Android phone but I’m going on 60yo, and I really want to control the Naim via my iMac and the larger cleaner, easy to use navigation and screen. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

We’ve recently updated our technical support details - the best way to reach our team is simply support@naimaudio.com

But let’s see if we can help you here first.

If you do want to play from your iMac to your Star, the best-quality way is via Apple AirPlay, not Bluetooth.

1. Make sure your iMac and Uniti Star are on the same Wi-Fi or Ethernet network.
  2. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Sound.
  3. Under Output, select the Uniti Star.

However, you will achieve better sound quality streaming via the Naim App. So it’s a trade off between sound quality and convenience.

2 Likes

Thank you, I sent my screenshot (iMac, latest OS, on Tidal) after I took these steps to the email you sent, however here it is (spinning wheel, unfortunately)…

Have you tried streaming via Chromecast - another available option. Just select Uniti Star from that drop down menu.

I’d also check - using the Naim App on your Android device - that your Uniti Star’s AirPlay and Chromecast inputs are both enabled. You can find that under Settings > Input settings on the Naim App

If you are a Tidal subscriber, and that’s your main or only streaming source, then by far the best user experience and sound will be to use the Naim app and stream direct from Tidal. You can get an amazon fire tablet very cheaply and control via wifi, play networked.
In the above issues, have you made sure there are not network issues and your Star has remained visible over the network? For roon not to see it would normally indicate that’s the case. A wired connection to the back of the star is always going to be the best, when you start introducing mesh wifi and other solutions, this needs to be set up correctly to avoid any network contention between an existing router and the mesh system.

Yes it worked perfectly the first week via Chromecast and now its not doing so.

For some reason, though it was working, now when I try to ‘Pair new device’ on my Motorola phone, it doesn’t recognize the Naim. And right now when I open the Naim app it reads 'No rooms found - however my internet is working perfectly - I have a clear WiFi signal.

I getcha on this. But, for now, in the testing phase of this new Naim I do not want to buy another device to enable this device (Naim) to work. Right now the network is not recognizing the Star, it’s intermittent…but it is side by side with my iMac which is getting crystal clear Wifi.

Is your dealer able to help you here?

I take it you’ve done the usual re-boot of the Uniti, App and the router.

I’m in Texas, my dealer for this unit is in California. I’d likely have to ship it back to them. I was hoping not to have to do that, but if this persists I am still under my thirty day return policy.

I have not rebooted the Uniti. - how is that done exactly? I wonder why it would have to be, I’m not using it heavily, and I have turned it off, but is there a reset button - will it lose all my favourites, etc?

No need to do a reset. Just put into standby, then unplug the mains for 5 minutes or so. Plug in and start up again.

Your dealer is your first line of support, so perhaps give them a call. Failing that, it may be a good idea to contact Naim support on this.

support@naimaudio.com
T: +44 (0) 1722 443405

Hours of service are Mon-Fri 9:30am-5:30pm GMT/BST

Has anything changed on your network recently; new device added, anything with a firmware upgrade? What does your network consist of? Do you have any ethernet or wifi over mains adapters? They can cause no end of problems with device discovery. Can you download the Net Analyzer app to your phone and see if that lists the Naim unit in a LAN scan?

It’s intermittent in my experience. Just keep trying is unfortunately the only advice I can give. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.