Recommend me some Jazz versions of Beatles songs

There are 2 volumes of Come Together: Guitar Tribute to the Beatles (various guitar players) on which there are some exceptional versions. Steve Khan does a fantastic job and Alan Holdsworth channels John Coltrane on Michelle - just a couple of highlights. Of course, a few non-essential covers as well (unfortunately).

There are a couple of CDs entitled Beatles Jazz (I think - I’m not home for another week, so can’t be sure). Piano trio versions.

The new Artemis CD has a lovely version of Fool on the Hill. Super CD all round.

1 Like

Some great suggestions thanks, and nowadays these threads allow one listen to nearly all these albums pretty much instantaneously.

.sjb

2 Likes

Al di Meola has a new Beatles release, Across the Universe. I’m just listening to it over Tidal and it’s pretty good.

1 Like

This new album by Swedish guitar ace Ulf Wakenius, which contains Macca Beatles songs and solo tunes is terrific - tasteful and provides new insight into Mr Thumbs Aloft’s brilliant compositions. Beautifully recorded too. Highly recommended.

This on the other hand, is one of the worst - garish, tasteless and self-indulgent. I’d say steer well clear, unless you’re a fan of his:

1 Like

His “Blackbird” is pretty famous.

1 Like

It’s not on my normal playlist (it’s a bit on the soupy side), but it is Beatles, George Benson, jazz…from 1969.

1 Like

I love Brad’s takes on Beatles, Radiohead and Nick Drake. The familiar melodies anchor the jazz in a way that makes it very accessible.

1 Like

Not Jazz… but Beatles, and I’m playing on it :grinning:

Not quite jazz, but still well worth hearing - McLemore Avenue, Booker T & The MG’s take on Abbey Road.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.