Recommend speakers

Mmm, could tick all the boxes I guess . What are they like in the bass area.

Pretty good bass from what I remember from listening to them.

1 Like

Any other recommendations?

I would recommend you put Neat on your list. If you have a local Neat dealer, then ignore everyone, and what they look like, and listen - you might get a surprise!!

Tony

1 Like

I have heard Dynaudio Emit M20s singing beautifully on the end of an Atom. They’re within your budget, so might be worth putting on your list.

Roger

1 Like

Sounds like a good shout Roger.

[quote="Clive1, post:8, topic:2275, full:true"]

Hi Andrew , currently using some very cheap, mordaunt short bookshelves on stands . I was thinking along lines of kef r3 or ls50 or similar, like b & w , but being told not gr8 with naim .
[/quote]

Would not agree, for me B&W were great with a star. Then again I didn’t like Dynaudio which even has it’s own thread. Anyway, just listen. You shouldn’t buy purely on recommendation, and in practice will be limited by what’s available locally anyway.

1 Like

Neat Motive sx2. The most musical little speaker, you can think of. Great bass. Very recommendable.

7 Likes

If you’re in the USA the Totem Sky Towers are the ones to beat.

2 Likes

Another vote for Neat motive sx2, which I managed to buy for £1000. I think they sound superb with my Naim atom in same size room as yours.

5 Likes

Agreed. Totems all round are great.

1 Like

Tip: if you can, bring your own speakers with you when you go to listen to new speakers so you can test them alongside each other. It’s what I did and I can tell you, my entire list of preselected speakers based on specifications and website reviews went down the toilet. My old speakers were better than any of them. I was both proud and frustrated!

I would also have brought my Atom if I didn’t know they already had one ready in the listening room.

1 Like

Lots of good advice and recommendations @Clive1, not sure which country you are in, I assumed the UK due to currency you used, agree the Neat XS2 are cracking little floor standers and can be picked up for about £1000, £500 less than retail price, I have a pair of SX1’s and they are great on the end of my Nova.

3 Likes

Thank you , I’m a little concerned I may find the Neat a little forward and brite . But only going by some reviews , so not sure . I’m hoping to demo on Saturday the rega rx3 / rx5 . Pmc 20 / 23 . Possibly 25/ 21 . Dynaudio emit m20. Perhaps some kef , but probably to brite for my taste . Maybe some b&w , but again may be to brite . I think I will probably prefer standmounts as generally I find they are cleaner sounding and faster which I quite like . But I just struggle once things get a little to brite . So a nice warm bookshelf with good tight bass and good natural mids and a classy top end but not to brite . Unless I can get this from a floor standard of course.

I must admit I don’t find the Neats bright, lots of bass which is down ported making them easier to position nearer to the wall. I also run a pair of PMC Twenty5 23’s which are excellent speakers, I also like their standmounts. If your’e looking at standmounts perhaps add Proac to your list, they do some nice speakers. Given your budget I would certainly be looking at ex demo, good quality second hand.
Happy hunting.

2 Likes

Thank you for your advice, what are your thoughts on the rega rx3/ rx5.

Sorry unlike the other speakers I listed I don’t have any personal experience of the Rega’s, they do get good reviews, the rx3 more so, but no substitute for listing with your own ears, speakers are a very personal thing and perhaps the most difficult choice in your set up.

I use Neat Motive SX2s on a NAIT 5si with great results too. I had Naim Credos before but I much prefer the Neat’s presentation. There is just something about them that is just so enjoyable that many other speakers miss. They are not bright, their treble units are second to none at their price point, their top trick IMO.

4 Likes

Another vote for the Neat Motive SX2’s here which I’m running on the end of an XS2 and for a compact floor stander I don’t think they can be beaten at the price especially if you can pick a pair up for grand as previously suggested.
Had a pair of LS50’s before that and with decent stands they will set you back about the same money, they are great speakers and are now available in a variety of bold colour combinations but the Neats are a step up in my opinion.
As with all things speaker related don’t forget to audition before you buy preferably at home if your dealer is agreeable.
Good luck and let’s us know where you end up.

3 Likes

That’s great to hear , can I ask what other speakers you have tried please.