Recommend your favourite Record & CD Stores

If this is ok with @Richard.Dane I thought a thread could be useful where forum members recommend good secondhand record stores. Hopefully this could expand into a resource when visiting new locations. The Discogs app is very good, but a personal recommendation with added detail is always useful.

Starting off with a visit to Clocktower Music in Bridport. New & used vinyl, very well stocked, plus some vintage Hi-Fi too. No internet sales (out of choice), but they can do mail order. A system in place where all rare or good quality LPs are housed in re-sealable sleeves and labelled “Please ask to see condition” to protect the records from poor handling and keep them in good order - liked that. A very helpful and knowledgable owner too - highly recommended.

11 Likes

Looks good. Mine is vinyl exchange manchester. Great shop and nice staff.
Last week i bought jazz at the philharmonic complete box set. Which is hard to find.
I do not think it was ever played.

2 Likes

South Wales
Swansea Bay Records - in Swansea Market.
Both Cds and LPs but I don’t have turntable so can’t comment on how LPs are looked after. Spoke with Owner who seemed to take care.

North Wales
Cob Records in Porthmadog - went there regularly when living in Barmouth.

1 Like

Also a fan of Vinyl Exchange - it’s located a rather handy (and tempting!) 5 minute walk from my office.

A few other stores I like, in no particular order:

• Cob Records, Porthmadog
  • Grey and Pink, Chester
  • Tubeway Records, Shrewsbury
  • Sister Ray, London
  • Relics Records, Leeds (even more kudos as they use a Naim Nait in the shop!)
  • Oxfam Books and Music are often worth a look in too - the Shrewsbury branch has been quite good of late

During the pandemic, I have also bought lots of used CDs from Music Magpie and World of Books, both of which I would also highly recommend.

4 Likes

Sonic Boom in Toronto and PVC Records in Oakville Canada. Both are great and both are very different. One is huge and caters more to a younger crowd and PCV is smaller but caters a bit more to the audiophile community I sense.

2 Likes

A couple that I have visited often and found a number of keepers, CD’s but they both have a very large vinyl selection…

Fat Cat Records - 4515 Meridian Ave N, Seattle, WA 98105

Golden Oldies Records - 201 NE 45th St, Seattle, WA 98105

1 Like

Pre covid I used to like visiting charity shops and looking for CDs that are missing from my collection.
Now in covid days, I do all my music shopping online. I tend to go to “Resident Records” website, much in the way I would have gone to the store in Brighton for a browse now and again. I would also visit most of the secondhand record stores around Brighton, most of which are in the North Laine area.

1 Like

Since recently discovering World of Books I’ve bought numerous cds, not sure I’d buy vinyl, but I’m sure I will try some. In Wolverhampton Oldies Unlimited and Vinyl and Vintage are great. I’ve bought lots of cds in charity shops in recent years, one I call into regularly sells cds and dvds 5 for £1. If they’re no good they get donated back.

3 Likes

I like Flashback, on the Essex Road in Islington. Very nice staff and always worth a browse. And Reckless in Soho. Same.

They’re kinda my only two regulars…I go to Sister Ray over the road from Reckless, but not as frequently now they’ve moved to smaller premises - I don’t seem to find as many goodies as I used to
(on LP, tbh I don’t really check the CD racks in any record shop).

3 Likes

If you’re shopping in Wolverhampton, don’t forget Stay Loose Records in the alley next to Waterstones. New and used records, some cd’s and a very informative owner.

3 Likes

Quicksilver in Southport is a nice little shop. Lot’s of new and used vinyl and CDs at reasonable prices. The owner puts an amusing weekly video on Facebook showing what new stock he’s got in.

I visited Dig Vinyl and Probe Records in Liverpool at the weekend. They are both worth checking out too.

1 Like

for my vinyl main source of new albums is Diverse Vinyl in Newport & Abbey Road on direct basis whose recent realeses are supeb

for SH vinyl Eil on the web who have come up with some real gems recently

2 Likes

In Sheffield we have Moorgate Acoustics who are Naim dealers and a very good ,
They also have a vinyl shop called Wax in the basement.

So you can kill two birds with one visit, :grinning:

3 Likes

Sounds an expensive visit.
Add in Class A too!

1 Like

Yep her indoors wouldn’t be too pleased when you come home with a LP or two and a few other things​:loud_sound::loud_sound::control_knobs::minidisc:

Thanks for that recommendation. I kept meaning to get over to Southport pre lockdown, so def now on my radar.

1 Like

Do you mean Eli? They are good, but the prices and top dollar.

Best for Mail Order
Resident in Brighton
Drift in Totnes
Monorail in Glasgow
Assai in Edinburgh
Banquet in Kingston
Juno Records
Rough Trade

Other favourites
South Records in Southend-on-Sea
Empire Records in Saint Albans
Sound Records and Trading Post in Stroud

Best named
The Vinyl Whistle in Leeds (owned by Premier League referee, Jon Moss)

It’s Eil and I had a bad experience (dirty vinyl and ripped inner) so stopped using them. Flashback is excellent - avoid Saturday - and only one worth left in north London after Haggle Vinyl closed down a few years ago.

1 Like

2 more cds from World of Books, good price, no postage fee and swift delivery. Both mint, Azteca still factory sealed.

1 Like