Recommend your favourite Record & CD Stores

No interest in vinyl. Might if my legs were sufficiently limber to keep getting up every fifteen minutes to turn the lp over. Age gives me permission to call vinyl records lps.
Have an NDX2 but prefer cds.
Only musical interest is jazz (stylistically) 1935-1955. More or less gets me off the Coltrane hook.:zipper_mouth_face:
So…
Discogs if you know the real value of your search items.
JazzHouse records,Leicester
Jazz Messengers Barcelona
All Mail order.All brilliant.
N

2 Likes

Yes - eil.com also known as Esprit and 991 (although I think that was pre eil, but the website is still there).

For those of us who don’t have access to a local shop with extensive second-hand LP stocks, eil is a potential source. I haven’t had any problems with them but I generally find that second-hand dealers on Discogs offer better prices.

3 Likes

In Hull that would be:-
Wrecking ball records
Disc Discography
Spin it records
Go records
Or, another shop in Paragon arcade, (sorry fellas I’m not sure of the shop name as it’s quite new)

1 Like

Wax and Beans in Bury is a great shop. Excellent place to call in for a browse and a coffee or really great for mail order. Always spot on with Record Store Day stuff as well, but the queues can be massive !

3 Likes

Vinyl Hunter Bury St Edmunds
Ocean Records Felixstowe
Out of Time Ipswich

“Suffolk n Good”

Soundclash Norwich

2 Likes

Lyle’s Place, Victoria BC

1 Like

“101 Records” Farnham Surrey, good mix of used vinyl and new and CD’s. Lot of charity shops in Farnham as well, Oxfam have a large dedicated music/bookshop.

1 Like

Hi
D’vinyl records in Cardiff.
Aladdins cave & treasure hunt in one.

2 Likes

David’s Bookshop in Letchworth Garden City.

If the new & used records or CDs don’t trap you, the new & second hand books, the hobby boardgames, or the coffee shop will.

Many is the time when I have popped in to buy a birthday card and ended up with my wallet far lighter than planned!

Last year the shop changed to a full employee ownership model which means that the lovely and knowledgeable staff reap the benefit of their hard work.

3 Likes

what a great looking store

1 Like

excellent and good to see a pic of my home town

Modlang in Ludlow Shropshire. Fantastic second hand record shop with some CDs,books & memorabilia.
The owner Paul is a lovely knowledgable chap.

1 Like

My favourite spot is actually not a store but the network of municipal libraries in the city of Paris. For a small annual fee, you can find treasures there. The advice and the discs put forward by each library reflect the tastes of the employees who are often enthusiasts. I made some very nice discoveries thanks to them.

I don’t listen to LP’s but according to this video, one of them have 90.000 vinyls. Unlike CD’s you can listen to them but you can borrow only 600 references.

3 Likes

Called in at Clocktower Music in Bridport today.

Great place, friendly people, enough LPs to bankrupt your wallet, good vibe. Came out with a stack of goodies. Recommended !

2 Likes

Fab isn’t it! Really enjoyed my morning mooching amongst the racks.

2 Likes

Yeah, especially as it is within reasonable booting distance for me. I have been there before but enjoyed this visit even more. Interesting little area of arts and crafty stores around that immediate area too.

Handy for post-rummage fish-n-chips down on the beach at West Bay too !

3 Likes

Action Records in Preston. A cracking little record shop. Small but very well stocked, to the limits almost. A mix of new and used, but with a greater emphasis on RSD, and new Indies only ltd editions. Plenty of CDs too. One thing to note, all new vinyl is shelved at waist height, but the used vinyl are in cardboard boxes on the floor, so will test you knees when flicking through the records.

4 Likes

Tower Records Dublin. 2 floors of heaven and more.

3 Likes

I was out shopping with my wife in Chichester earlier this year and suddenly there was a torrential rain storm and I dived for cover in the Assembly rooms. What a stroke of luck. There was a record fair being staged there so had a chance to buys some vinyl. It turns out that there is a national record fair website hosted by Google recordsfairuk and they list all the upcoming events round the UK. Worth checking out methinks.

1 Like

Nice find! Yes, Record Fairs UK is very good. I’ve been registered now for a while now, and it’s great to see the number of fairs slowly coming back to the numbers pre covid. Hopefully this will pick up at a decent pace now.

1 Like