recommendation for bookshelf speakers to partner Star

Aargghh…OK, so now having a crisis of confidence and suddenly thinking maybe I could have floor standers instead of standmounts (hey, it’s the same footprint isn’t it)…so apologies for being so contrarian, but what’s the recommendation for floor standers in the same price bracket (£1,300ish). I may then demo some floor standers against the standmounts (and then look at eBaying my Quads and stands as a package). Damn it, I’m getting all confused and indecisive now!

While waiting for my floor standing PMC’s to partner my Star, I was leant a pair of Spendor A1’s. they were excellent once run in and worked well with a huge range of music. You will need a sub for lots of bass, but you will with any small speaker.

I could have lived with them happily long term, but would add a sub at some point.
They seemed to ignore the room and were very, very unfussy about placement.

2 Likes

Agree that all speakers need tweaking but both my Proac Tabs and the PMC’s have not been fussy about proximity to walls etc. YMMV of course

very pretty.

This is my current set up, definitely not ideal (the cardboard box is full of CD’s to be ripped.

How far away from speakers do you sit?

about 12-15 feet

I still think you should have Proac Tab 10’s at the top of your audition list. They are amazing speakers for the money

1 Like

I’ll add them to the list

1 Like

Neat motive sx3. … fab and very musical and mine are 18cm from wall

1 Like

They may take the same footprint but they can overload the room more easily and just not work. I just downsized from floorstanders to standmounts due to this reason. The ProAcs sound far superior as they are less affected by the room as the floorstanders. You may get away with some smaller ones but you really would need to try them at home.

Agree or stretch to the 10 Signatures far better in terms of depth and bass control. You can also get them right up to the wall without too much bass as they are sealed.

1 Like

Adding to the Tablette 10 love here. I’ve had 10 and now Signature and they are the most satisfying ‘speaker I’ve owned.

If you can stretch to the Signature they give more of everything. Mine are just flourishing after run-in and most noticeable over the straight 10 is a deeper ‘view’ into the recording studio - a more open window.

G

2 Likes

Not if you buy secondhand - and with your limited budget I wouldn’t dream of buying speakers new, so much more buying power secondhand. PMC DB1, Twenty-1 & 22, Twentyfive-21 at least crop up within your limit.

I don’t think you’ve identified your room dimensions - they will make a difference as to speaker suitability. Given that you said you sit 12-15 feet away, It’s not a tiny room.

I have the 702s2 floorstanders with the Star myself, and also a diverse musical taste. So like you needed all-rounders. I would think it’s definitely worth auditioning the 706’s. That continuum mid is great, one thing I don’t know though is how it will do bass, as in the floorstanders that’s handled by a separate driver. I can also recommend the Kef LS50. Haven’t heard the new ones, but the older can be picked up at a nice discount.

1 Like

…a vote for the ProAc Tablette 10 or D2R’s. I believe they would partner with your Star nicely.

2 Likes

I haven’t listened to D2R in the shop yet. Too scared in case I drop my wallet. That said, WHF’s D2R review said, “These ProAcs aren’t as unfussy about positioning as the standard D2s. That ribbon tweeter has many positives but is more demanding about optimum set-up. Make sure you keep the speakers away from rear and sidewalls and get the toe-in angle towards the listening position right”

1 Like

YOLO @davidng YOLO! They are fantastic and would play nicely with your Nova (I’m biased naturally)

1 Like

I know! I only have ProAc’s and love it. Hope you don’t think I am a fanboy. :joy:

1 Like

No worries! For the OP I’d also recommend ProAc Tab 10’s.