Recommendations for a streamer (Naim or not)

What a cracking thread, enjoyed reading through it!

I’ve had a couple of similar threads of thought to those being discussed.

I run multiple sources, and doubt they’ll all ever be up to the same level. But that won’t stop me considering amplification upgrades to make the most of all of them, and be commensurate with my highest quality source. I don’t think being “over amped” on the lower quality sources is an issue at all if it is extracting the best out of them. It is all relative, they are not poor quality sources.

On the streaming side, after being bowled over by a UnitiQute 1, I decided to add streaming to my main system. I started with my phone as streamer and a Chord Mojo DAC. I then dedicated the Mojo to headphone duties and added a mk1 Hugo - which was superb. At that point the usability of my phone plugged into the Hugo wasn’t great (though no worse than getting up to change LP sides tbh). After a bit of reading I added a Primare NP5 streamer. This is great, I use Chromecast from my phone, and through the Hugo the SQ is excellent. Together with an Ifi power supply it’s a c. £1k streaming solution, and it really does sound exceptional. It is two boxes plus a fancy plug though. I would definitely consider the one box ND5 XS2 as a replacement.

I get that DACs like those from Chord are incredibly good. But I think the focus on the digital side of more recent conversion techniques perhaps misses the vast experience Naim have both in that domain, and the analogue side. It is an analogue signal that leaves the DAC after all. Plus the exceptional backup after sale that Naim offer. I really need to compare the ND5 XS2 to my current setup, I still aspire to the “cheap” Naim streamer.

Lastly, I’ve had no issues whatsoever running a first gen streamer. BubbleUPnP works a treat for me - streaming Qobuz and using a Mac to convert to .wav Locally ripped files come off a Mac running Plex. And last time I was at a dealer I heard a first gen NDX, it sounded flipping brilliant. So maybe I should line that up against my current setup with a view to a simpler setup whilst I save for the ND5 XS2.

Anyway, hope you’re working through your situation @iliria and enjoying the journey whilst you do!

3 Likes

Well I only have the 172 which at the time was cutting edge yes the analogue stage could be better, and the internal dac but with the 250 sounds great with Tidal through Spendor 2/3 rs

Anyway I am now investing in a Naim Fraim so I can sit my 1982 built Linn on top. Simple but effective

Bought a Linn Genki 2nd hand it sounds great as well . Has anyone got a remote that works with it?

I certainly looked and listened for a simpler and cheaper way (not to mention a less voluminous, high box count solution). I couldn’t find one. But it’s also true that the results exceeded expectations.

2 Likes

Hi Michaelb
From my count,you have 5 expensive boxes as your source. I am hoping to get away with 2. One will be a stand alone Dac,which I have not decided on yet. The other will be either an ND5XS2, or some type of server. What I need to figure out is which ones will suit my needs the most.

Why buy fraim now?
Why not upgrade your hifi boxes first?

1 Like

Let your ears guide you. I have been disappointed by many standalone DACs, including some of the most expensive. In one demo, admittedly with a speaker I can’t stand (although quite popular on the forum) I actually preferred the NDX to the then top-of-the-line Linn Klimax. So, I’d say forget trying to get there with logic and just listen.

2 Likes

Hi @frenchrooster just borrowed the same Melco you have, struggling with cable configuration that would get the Melco playing to the nd555 via the Phoenix net to get the reclocking low noise benefit. The only way i can get it to work is router to melco lan, then player to nd555. In this latter configuration it sounds worse than my Core>Phienix>nd555……any suggestions.

Normally you should have: router to PhoenixNet, then Melco to PhoenixNet and Melco to Nd555 by ethernet cable.
The Melco set up to DHCP and set up un bridge mode ( both set up through the screen).

I tried also router to PhoenixNet and both Melco and Nds to PhoenixNet. But I prefer slightly the direct Ethernet connection of Nds to Melco player .

Just to be clear….router to Phoenix lan, melco lan to phoenix out, melco player to nd555

1 Like

Yes

Does it work ? If not, there’s a problem somewhere.

I think I have a wifi problem all of a sudden……not much working……i had a power blip

You are unfortunate, specially in that moment when you try the Melco.
Curious to read you later.

Thx……it may take some while👍

2 Likes

Have got it up and running including Phoenix net, though Minimserver does not appear despite an over the phone discussion with dealer. He may pop in later if he has time……i think @Darkebear had some trouble way back. I will give it a good try tonight.

I did have that or associated troubles with Minim Server - needing ‘Minim-watch’ to also be running on another machine and that not working right… in the end since I greatly preferred the Twonky Server option on SQ over the Minim I just dropped using the Minim and eventually after a few months of not using Minim Server - apart from to verify I did still prefer Twonky over Minim - I deleted and totally removed Minim from the Melco - and that improved the Twonky Service SQ.

People may hear it different in their preferences - and perhaps the later Minim version is better than what I tried - but Twonky was significantly better in terms of dynamic range handling and clarity throughout, making Minim sound like it was adding a level of compression to the music. On older non-compressed music I hated that effect, but on any music with even a tiny bit of compression the differences between the Minim and Twonky was far less and I could then even begin to understand why anyone would prefer the Minim as it presented a warmer sound which was quite nice in a way.

…but of course this was after I had been rather surprised the Server software could make any difference. Back then I had to suspend all disbelief and just experiment and find what worked and later think about why.

Good you have it working - experiment and decide.

I found the Melco needed a little care to set-up but then it seems to add a level of stability and ‘ground’ to my system - the LF does not move and wander which I hate hearing and you really only hear it in systems that resolve low bass, so I wanted that nailed-down. Once the foundation is secure I can relax and access the music - the Melco (my old version) is by no means perfect but it does do this aspect exceedingly well over other things I’ve heard and good siting on a Fraim and suitable cable-management seems to remove the tendency it can have toward being over-fulsome at LF-end.

DB.

Thanks DB…….early days…….i have at least it working.

1 Like

Early impressions ?

Well……Andy turned up from Signals…….my mesh system is playing up. Now direct to router and is quicker in the Naim app to find servers. Great service, now playing via minimserver2 or twonky, need a few days.