Recommended speaker for Nait 2?

Neat used a Nait 2 (with a Chord Qutest as source) to demo their new-ish Ekstra speakers. I guess it is reasonably safe to assume that Bob S knows what he does – so the Nait/Ekstra or Ministra combo is probably rather sweet… :star_struck:

4 Likes

I have used a Nait 1 and Nait 3 with Kans, Rega Ela 2 and Rega Kyte (the original one) and they all sounded good.

Obviously you will need some Kan stands (or the Sound Organisation equivalent) if you go for Kans or Kytes.

1 Like

I’ve often wondered about this as I’ve considered a Nait 2 for a second system. As it’s sense of timing and rhythm is loved by so many and considering the diminutive size & power wouldn’t a horn loaded speaker be more suitable?

People often pair nait 1,2 with kans or ls35a but they are both relatively difficult speakers to drive,no?

1 Like

Are they really so bad? If you can get over their eighties looks on the right stands, according to TNT site they give an introductory flavour of the Naim/ Linn sound for very little outlay.

Then again, I would totally get it if you just wanted a change…

1 Like

Even in their day I don’t remember the original Linn Index being very well regarded even by the likes of HiFi Review. I think speakers like the Heybrook HB1 were considered to be a better alternative.

@Naim_The_Dragon I heard that demonstration at Cranage, and it was a superb system. The Neat Ekstra sang on the end of the ‘underpowered’ Nait 2. Some snaps (excuse the bad phone pix, but the lighting was low). I know they are not to everyones taste, but I personally think photos (esp mine!) don’t do the Ekstra justice and they looked lovely in their contrasting walnut veneer and black baffles. Nice to see something different from the herd anyway.

In fact, it was this experience (and system) which seeded the plan to get my moth balled CB Nait2 serviced - so glad I did as it transformed its performance.

I owned Linn Index for a little while. Bought secondhand, and then sold them on within a couple of weeks. Not great that great IIRC.

5 Likes

Hi, I bought my Linn index MK1’s when I was 13 years old and have always kept them (as new) I’ve always liked them but they are really difficult speakers to drive Believe it or not and the Nait 2 just doesn’t have the power to drive them properly.

I also have a pair of Linn Sara stands that they’ve always sat on but nowadays I use the stands as side tables either side of my sofa.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard for the reply and info.

Do you still have to stick to the Naim 5 metre rule on the speaker cables with a Nait 2?

I was told by Naim HQ some years ago and a former employee more recently that the little Naits are pretty forgiving regarding speaker cable.

I have 3.5m of WH Phantom on my Nait 2 (only have this length because my former Naim pre/power required it) and 1.5m of TQ Ultra Blue on my Nait 1.

2 Likes

The Nait2 is old school Naim so the usual loudspeaker cable rules definitely apply.

3 Likes

That’s great some imagination from Neat at a trade show using the Nait 2! Those speakers appear to have a ribbon tweeter but the dimensions are similar to the Kudos X2.

BTW, I am using Tellurium Q Blue with my Nait. I thought it was a 3 metre not 5 metre rule?

2 Likes

The Kudos have been lost :cry:

Lost in Transit ?

Yes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.