Recommended Tablet for Naim APP and Tidal

As per my post above, you are incorrect. I didn’t need 1TB, but I have a 512G card which I can connect to my iDevices with a $29 Apple Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader. (Yes, the product name is misleading. Also, there is also one for USB-C). All you need then is an app that plays music stored via the Files app.

I can’t speak to HDMI. I have no use for it.

That’s interesting, when on hols I use an ageing iPod line out into a Bluetooth speaker. So presumably I could get an SD card and card adaptor for my iPhone load it with music and Bluetooth it to the speaker. I have a Vox app on the phone which allows me to use Flac files, I wonder if I could access the SD card that way? Alternatively what music app do you use for this function?

I use nPlayer, which is actually a media player. I should note that I converted and transferred all my files as MP3s, as that was sufficient for me for portable use. However, according to the AppStore listing:

• Supports officially DTS audio codec (DTS HD)

• Supports Dolby audio codec (AC3, E-AC3)

• Supports iXpand Drive

• Supports Chromecast

• Supports video cast for Smart TV

• Supports HDMI output

• Supports video files : MP4, MOV, MKV, AVI, WMV, ASF, FLV, OGV, RMVB, TP etc.

• Supports audio files : MP3, WAV, WMA, FLAC, APE etc.

• Supports subtitle files : SMI, SRT, SSA, IDX, SUB, LRC, SUP, MLP2 etc.

• Supports image files : JPG, PNG, BMP, GIF, TIFF etc.

• Supports playlist files : CUE, M3U, PLS

• Supports WebDAV, FTP, SFTP, HTTP, SMB/CIFS, NFS

• Supports UPnP/DLNA (supports subtitles if DLNA server provides subtitles information.)

• Supports cloud service (Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Yandex.Disk)

• Supports in-app web browser

• Supports iTunes video/audio play (except for DRM contents)

• Supports videos and pictures in Album

Here’s what it looks like attached to an iPad Mini:

IMG_1981

And immediately after taking the photo I cleaned my screen.

This is a common thing with Apple fans. They often compare their expensive Apple product with a cheap Windows or Android alternative. Is a ÂŁ2000 Macbook Pro better than a ÂŁ300 Windows laptop? I should bloomin well hope so! Compared to a similarly priced Windows laptop, things may well be different. Same with tablets, iPad should be better than a cheap Android tablet but an Android tablet costing about the same as the iPad? Much closer.

2 Likes

Many thanks as I have just discovered this feature due to your post. It’s a nice add on.

1 Like

Thanks for that, I’ll look into it…I wasn’t going to mention the screen…honestly!

Chris

1 Like

I use an oldish Samsung Galaxy and it seems to work fine, both with Tidal (which I used to use) and Qobuz, which I now use due to Hi Res availability.

Neil

1 Like

My world is only Apple :green_apple:

1 Like

I am a linux guy and apple/microsoft/android hater. Unfortunately this is a Naim issue, they should improve their android app or (better) alternatively offer a brower os agnostic app.

1 Like

A couple of thing occurred to me.

I did not use iTunes to transfer my music onto the card. (I used JRiver). Not saying that you can’t use iTunes. Just that I don’t know.

I don’t think nMusic has an indexing capability for browsing by genre/artist/album etc. Because my file structure reflects my usual music selection process it was a non-issue for me. Other apps may offer this service.

Naim have to get the app certified by Apple/Google so an agnostic app is never going to be possible.

Desktop browser app not need certification . Just point your browser to local naim device and select your music. This functionality could liberate users from big tech companies and is comfortable for the eyes too

The Naim app does a lot of other things than “select your music”. You really should only discuss things you actually understand.

Resistance is futile.

1 Like

Going to finalise my experience on tablets now. I purchases what i consider a new, higher spec machine from Lenovo running Android and the naim app. Whilst I am an Apple fan boy, I wanted it to so work, it had one job. Run the Naim App to look into the Innuos data base of about 600 CDs.

My conclusion , never again. I know why apple charge so much for something that is quick responsive, intuitive and just works everytime. I have my phone and my tablet sat next to each other. The Android takes 3 goes to find the Mu-So from screen touch after it went quiet for a while.

Second the interface whilst different a little is less intuitive, how do you get back to home screen or back one step, ahh turns out you have to do a lot of scrolling options with side swipes. just a simple back arrow would suffice,

Rotation catches up after about 1 sec, Face ID takes about 10 secs if it works, or just jumps to pin code after a couple of tries,

So yes it works, yes it was cheaper than a newer iPAD, but would i do it again. NO.

1 Like

Well, what I said all along :wink:
To be fair, though, the problem is not so much Android as the app quality.

I understand confusion about UI choices on Android, but this is mostly just a question of getting used to, like the back swipes.

However, as the question was the best tablet to use the Naim app, the answer is an iPad like I said. It’s by the way also reflected in this thread with complaints, to which the answers invariably are “never seen this on iOS”:

That couldn’t be further from my experience of the Naim app on Android. Both my Samsung phone and Google Pixel C tablet find my Naim streamer instantly every time. If you’re having to take 3 goes to find a streamer it might be that you need to set the battery options for the Naim app to prevent it from going to sleep.
As for the back button, Android always has a back button so I don’t know what you mean about scrolling and swipes. Most Androids with a software back button rather than a physical one might need a swipe up from the bottom of the screen to make the back,home and menu buttons visible but that’s all it should take.
As for rotation, face ID and the likes, every manufacturers’ implementation is different, perhaps Lenovo just haven’t done a good job there.

1 Like

Look for ‘System navigation’ in settings. You have the option of the traditional 3-button navigation (hey, two more than Apple :wink: ), or Gesture navigation, which you seem to have enabled.

I thought it was a question during initial setup, but maybe they changed that.

2 Likes

Any word on what the OP finally got, if anything at all? :thinking:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.