Recording LPs to A Digital Format

Hi.
I have a RCA to 3.5mm jack plug lead that came with my phonostage, and I am wondering about using it to record my wifes lps, mostly in German as she speaks fluent German, to a digital format so that she can listen to them on her phone or a bluetooth speaker.
SQ is not a high priority has she wears two hearing aids, and by her own admitance cannot fully enjoy music.
Would the forum be so kind as to suggest digital recorders with a 3.5mm female socket that I can record the lps to, and then put on her phone and on the music NAS.
Thank you.

Roger, if sound quality is not so important then, if you have a laptop computer with an inbuilt sound card and a 3.5mm “mic” socket, just use that to record. You can download a free copy of Audacity to make the recordings and turn into tracks and album files. Otherwise a portable digital recorder such as a Marantz PMD661 or similar should so the job rather well.

1 Like

Hi @robert_h
At £250 for a second hand Marantz PMD661 is a bit rich for my blood, unfortunately.
I have, however, found a second hand Tascam R05 X for £60, it would appear to do the same things at the Marantz.
I had not given any thought to cut and editing. I just wanted to record the lps, warts and all, to mp3 without any faffing about.
Which I imagine I can do with the Tascam, or anything similiar, and only thing to do is set the peak level.
Thank you for taking the time out to respond to my query.

Hi @Richard.Dane

At £250 for a second hand Marantz PMD661 is a bit rich for my blood, unfortunately.
I have, however, found a second hand Tascam R05 X for £60, it would appear to do the same things at the Marantz.
I had not given any thought to cut and editing. I just wanted to record the lps, warts and all, to mp3 without any faffing about.
Which I imagine I can do with the Tascam, or anything similiar, and only thing to do is set the peak level.
Also, I imgaine I could do the same with a laptop without having to use Audacity or anyother software?
Thank you for taking the time out to respond to my query.

Brand new

With a bit of patience you might find a Marantz PMD661 or PMD671 for less. They have particularly nice sounding A-D converters. Nicer than the Tascams I have tried.

However, if ultimate sound quality is not a priority then you can do it all for nothing with just Audacity, which is useful whatever you use. Some form of tagging and codec conversion program is helpful too. I just use DBpoweramp for this as I already have it for ripping.

Out of interest, do you use any special power supply for the Marantz?
I have one (acquired 2nd hand) which I haven’t used much yet. Still on a fairly steep bit of the learning curve. The battery doesn’t hold it’s charge any more and I have a rather crummy looking wall wart which doesn’t look original

I use Eneloop rechargeables on the 661 and the supplied adapter for the 671.

Thanks

if im wanting to tranfer vinyl to digital I have two methods depending on how lazy im feeling. I use a tascam dr100mk3 connected direct to the output of my phono stage and record to sd card at 24bit 96k. My other method is to take the outputs from my phono stage into my universal audio interface direct into protools at 24bit 96k. ive also tried taking a feed out of the tape out on my nac 282, used to be a nac 202 and although still great if I bypass the extra circuitry and go direct from the phono stage it does sound a little better, and analog signal paths are kept to a minimum. the AD conversion in my universal audio interface are a lot better than the tascam ones. Of course this way of transferring means im not using the tape monitors of the pre amp so can only monitor through headphones, I use Beyer dt770pro at 80 ohm. if im recording a whole album ill patch through the preamp so I can hear through my speakers etc.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.