Recycling - which products annoy you most?

I am not sure, the conversation was a few months back, maybe longer I guess! Probably a lot longer as I am sure you are right! I remember being surprised at the time and mainly interested due to the freight angle.

Tap water.
Though mostly annoyed as a result of the after effects from mind altering substances added by the government to keep us all sedated.

1 Like

Bottled water. Simply a waste of money, at least in most places in the EU, and many other developed countries with similar enforced water quality standards.

1 Like

That’s the difference between biodegradable plastic (plastics such as polyethylene mixed with modified starch compounds so that it more rapidly breaks down into microscopic dust) and bioplastics such as polylactyllactate (aka PLA) which can easily be chemically broken down by a large range of bacteria and fungi.

2 Likes

W
A few months ago I was considering emailing Walkers crisps about their packaging so after exploring their website I discovered that they have organised collection points around the country where you can drop off your empty crisp packets and they will collect them for recycling. I had noticed that the multi pack bags do have the recycling triangle on them. They also say they are investigating environmentally friendly packaging.
Plastic cups from vending machines are one of my pet hates. We have such a machine where I work and we also have tea and coffee making facilities but the number of people who prefer to use the machine amazes me. Plastic cups and the foil cover usually end up in with the rubbish, drives me mad. I’m always muttering about what a lazy load of ***** I work with when I’m riffling through the kitchen bin removing said cups, yoghurt pots, microwave meal containers etc.
Bubble wrap gets my goat, we get through reams of the stuff, usually stuck together with brown plastic parcel tape so it’s virtually impossible to to unwrap it without ripping it so it can’t be reused. Then there are several individuals who will stuff that into a black bin liner for disposal; plastic in plastic. ‘sake, just throw it straight into the big wheelie bin outside…!
Plastic bottles with water, pop, juice, whatever. My local supermarket has a whole isle of drinks in plastic bottles… Do we really need that many different flavours…?
Gosh, it’s late… I’d better stop now or I’ll be here all night. Apologies for my midnight rant… :smirk:

3 Likes

Helium party balloons. Not just the non biodegradable item themselves that litter the hedgerows and get caught in phone lines etc but the fact they use a gas of which we have a very finite supply on the planet

The most truly pointless product I can think of. Should be banned.

Bruce

2 Likes

Either or, they’re still an improvement over conventional plastic bags. There is no such thing as a “bag for life”, these do not last forever and can still wrap themselves round a turtle. Its another way for the supermarkets to con us into believing they’re “down with The Greens baby” whilst extracting more money from customers.

We have a caravan on the North East coast, amazing beaches leading up to Bamburgh Castle. We often come across little black poo bags on the path, in the grasses…even on the beach…why because the council has only a handful of POO bins along this long stretch, and some people cannot be arsed to take them away with them. It ain’t the dogs fault…terrible.

I think most, if not all, of the Northumberland beaches ban dogs from April-Oct?

I have been taking my holidays every year on the North East coast for the last 15 at least - Bamburgh, Dunstanburgh Steads and Embleton usually in July or August and dogs are always running about on the beaches. If bans are in place, they are not adhered to and not policed by anybody as far as i can tell.

I take it back-I thought I’d seen a sign stating this somewhere on that beach!
Quick search suggests that a few have dog free areas but most are dog friendly all year

Bruce

We have a holiday house on the north Kent coast. Despite all the notices, dogs are often let loose on the beaches when they are supposed to be banned. Especially early morning or late evening. Dog poo may be picked up but generally is not. I fear that they think the tide may take it away. Unfortunately the tide doesn’t get that high even if it goes out a long way. Cue families with children running across the beach, lying down on blankets several hours later. I really don’t understand why owners don’t sort this out. And when politely pointed out to them they get very aggressive as a rule.

…and the number of times in recent years we’ve been on the beach as a family and someone’s pooch has run over and started rummaging through bags with food/clothing in, occasionally getting away with some food too, and the idiotic owners just look on in bemusement thinking it’s ok for their uncontrolled animals to have a ‘bit of fun’ on the beach with someone else’s property…

1 Like

A couple of years ago I served my jury service with a dustbin lorry driver. He told me that all those nice bins of recycling waste go to the same landfill as the regular domestic waste for what he called ‘layer caking’. Are we being conned or what?

Just checked they are open to public with dogs …
Except the Farnes and bird breeding areas …
B

I’d not be surprised.

No. That would be the ‘commies’, according to Brig. Gen. Jack Ripper

1 Like

Now if we had a choice in which mind altering substances were used…:grinning:

I often feel our tap-water is very over-chlorinated by the smell of it, but then I have to wonder if it actually needs this to kill bugs!

Me neither. And of course charge extra council tax for this ‘service’ :rage:

I’ll tell you another thing that annoys me about supermarkets - home deliveries.
Go to your local and you’ll pay for every bag. Get your shopping delivered and not only are they free, the packers don’t exactly fill them properly - literally a few items in each bag so you end up with loads you simply do not need.

1 Like