Reducing meat in the diet - any tips?

I’ll be dropping by on Tuesday. Indian please :wink:

1 Like

A spicy dahl…
Mushrooms with the tarka and if I have time my own flat bread

1 Like

Not cut meat out entirely but overall we eat less of it and are more vegetarian, pescatarians most of the time. Stick more to Mediterranean or Eastern dishes as it’s far easier to make tasty food with out the meat.

We use this for Indian at the moment as they are anglicised dishes as her family adapted to living in the UK so the ingredients are more easy to find but the flavour is still there not had a bad dish yet. There are some meat dishes in it but most is vegatable or fish/seafood.

2 Likes

If you are on a limited diet, those key food groups need to be activated properly for the best nutritional ingestion

https://www.healthyfoodguide.com.au/articles/2013/january/activated-almonds-anyone

Although extra care needs to be taken.

Oh! Really! :rofl:

More than a couple of brazil nuts a day could cause issues with selenium poisoning too.

Let me propose something different.

Personally, I’m not a big fan of all these vegan diets. They bring flavours I simply don’t like and I doubt how environment friendly they are.

My own approach - we reduce meat too - is to seek inspiration in e.g. the season. Which vegetables grow currently? This made me rediscover (cliche) Aspargus, but also Beetroot.

Beetroot is just brilliant. It is tasteful, you can keep it relatively long in storage and it pairs with almost everything. A simple starter like Beetroot, thin sliced onions and some (low fat) cheese is absolutely gorgeous. The Swedes pair Beetroot with herring.

Another suggestion. Your national cuisine has Fish and Chips. I just love Fish and Chips - why not ask for a reduced portion of Chips and ensure you finish the mushy peas?

Another suggestion. Meatballs. We increased the non-meat components of meatballs to about 50%. Just stuff in more old bread and vegetables. A world to discover.

2 Likes

I have been a member of PETA for some time now although I occasionally get the odd stare and look of bewilderment on some of my friends faces especially when I am tucking into a huge chateaubriand cut. I like it almost blue. Petit foie gras is another favorite of mine too.

Steve2

4 Likes

My wife and one of my kids is a veggie and I was veggie for 13 years (when I first met my wife, you can work out why…) and I must admit I like the Quorn products and actually prefer it in some cases. The mince is really nice in a spag bol or somesuch as you dont have all the fat and gristle. Also the Linda Mcartney line is good if you still like the taste/texture of meat. Her pies are good.

Vegetables and yoghurts…

1 Like

If you have the possibility try growing your own. Totally changes the pleasure of eating veg, and also gets you very much in tune with eating what is seasonal.

many of the recipe book suggestions here are excellent. worth saying that a lot of Asian and South Indian cuisine are vegetarian by default. I’d also suggest Simon Hopkinson’s ‘The Vegetarian Option’. He is a fine writer and cook and his other (very much non-veggy) books are also a constant pleasure.

Bruce

1 Like

Very true, and there are many types of vegetarian and for all kinds of reasons, but it really comes down to personal preference of one’s own dietary choice. I have been vegetarian for 30 years but that is my own choice; technically termed as lacto-ovo and meaning the diet includes some animal products of dairy and eggs.

The vegan diet seems to have become very trendy these days, as much as i have every respect for the genuine vegan, who do exist very healthily, many women vegans i know have eating disorders or are anorexic. It’s the best excuse in the world to climb on bored the vegan diet wagon simply to avoid eating so many foods.

If you really love eating meat, you probably won’t like being a veggie of any type, but there are healthy diets which can fit both ways; such as having vegetarian food on 3 or 4 days of the week, and on the meat eating days only choose lean fresh meat direct from a local butcher. Getting to know a good local butcher would be essential, perhaps only choose organic meat.

Avoid highly processed meat that comes in pies, pasties, sausages, corned beaf, black pudding etc… only eat good fresh lean meat, and no more than once in a day, and only a few times a week.
Most importantly, do as Ry Cooder warns in the youtube vid above; don’t go to McDonalds! :grimacing:

1 Like

Can’t argue with that. We grow lots of our own beetroot and it’s a regular feature of most lunches - delicious!

1 Like

Hi I have just seen this thread … look human beings are omnivores - and opportunist eaters… to be healthy you need to vary your diet… with the seasons, watch your portion size - do not over eat, fast occasionally … exercise moderately well say 10,000 to 15,000 steps a day … and you will be fine. Try not to eat the same food day in day out = bad. There is allot of research at the moment regarding gut biology … do some research it quite interesting… live long and prosper :vulcan_salute:

4 Likes

Yes, the gut microbiome has certainly been getting a lot of scholarly attention in recent years, fascinating stuff.

I bought all the Ottolenghi cookbooks for my wife. Totally agree about the ‘too many hard-to-find ingredients issue’ but she does some editing on her own and makes some great things out of them. We live very close to a very large Armenian population, so have access to groceries with a lot of the ingredients he calls for.

My personal favorite is a salad with kohlrabi (raw), yoghurt, garlic, mint leaves, sumac (spice) and I think lemon juice. She also does from there roasted baby eggplants with yoghurt or labneh, olive oil and pomegranate molasses.

well…an indian here…replying to your thread my friend :grinning:

all Indians are not exclusive vegetarians - i would guess a ratio of 60 veg to 40 non veg - which is a good amount of non veg by the way…

There are fantastic non veg recipes here and very tasty and nutritious food as well

The old texts here in India have ( to my knowledge ) described non vegetarian meals too but i guess whats more important here is to realize that :-

a. The key is to have a balanced diet

b. There are good options on the veg side of life for all the nice things that the human body needs to survive and thrive

c. Do it gradually

d. Vegetarian food has better taste IMO ( i eat non veg also sometimes ) and as mentioned by a few members veggies like Beetroot and tomatoes are very very good…

e. Of late i started eating more veg food as i find myself to be less guilty. I guess the way we treat our animals also counts a lot.

f. If you have a partner in your journey to have more of veg food - it will make the transition much easier.

g. Try cooking yourself - it makes for a relaxing time and you will appreciate the food you eat

But despite the dignity in treating animals destined for the food plate - one invariably has to take a life so i guess that will not go away.

I hail from South India and we have a lot of yogurt in our food. It is believed to help with digestion and good bowel movement which is hugely important from the body point of view.

I wish you good luck and i recommend this book for starters - as to the concept of a good diet from an Indian point of view

Author - Rujuta Diwekar
Book - Dont lose your mind lose your weight

PS : dont go by the book title - its a good book to read IMO

I lost 25 Kg in 9 months following the advise in this book and regular exercise. I did not lose energy or feel weakened by the process of losing weight…

PS2 :- i dont mean to be preachy in this post so take it in a normal way.

kindest regards

11 Likes

good to know HH…and good luck with maintaining your health…

do you cook ?

regards