Reducing meat in the diet - any tips?

Quinoa for example is an excellent substitute of animal proteins and cerals as well. cereals with glutin since it’s got a very good content of vegetal proteins and a very low glycemic index. it’s very easy to prepare as well.
Other alternatives are tofu (soy cheese) here in Italy we have a good selection of preparation even in major supermarkets.
For the rest, ethic apart, generally speaking is better to reduce diary products and cheese…

Regards
Roberto

1 Like

I stopped eating meat years ago, purely for welfare reasons and that there was the risk of unknowingly purchasing meat and meat products from animals that had not been humanely reared and killed.( I would love to expand on that but the moderators will likely shut it down)

Since then, I consider myself to have a good, varied diet which includes some fish, pulses, nuts and vegetables, preferably those that I have grown myself. I do not miss meat, nor do I condemn people who enjoy eating it, it is their choice.
Personally, I take the view that people have caused, and therefore can only cure, its destiny.
As the late, great Spike Milligan so aptly put it: " Copulation equals Population equals Birth Control."

1 Like

How do ensure the fish you eat has been ethically caught and despatched?

'Cos I catch them with my trusty rod and line of the coast at Dungeness and I clout them quickly over the head with a large piece of 4x2. ( I do use decent lug-worm so their last meal was at least a decent one) :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Interestingly one of my changes has been to have a lot more stir fry meals - loads of mushrooms which I adore, pak choi, broccoli, leeks/onions, cauliflower and a bit of meat or tofu. Also recently tried some tempeh which Sainsbury’s are now stocking,

As for ingredients, miso, mirin, rice wine/vinegar, soy sauce are quite easy to come by but not found any dashi but I suspect it ought to be made fresh, unless there are some acceptable pre-prepared versions. Found a few interesting kindle books I may get as I really need some variety other than simply using ginger and garlic.

The downside of soy sauces/miso etc is the high salt content, perhaps I use too much!

I assume you mean meat from animals killed according to certain religious practices - I find it quite incredible that such produce is being introduced quite widely in society with the assumption that those of differrent religious/non-religious persuasions will happily tolerate it almost as the ‘standard’ meat so it’s suitable for one group or another who might not eat ‘humanely’ killed animals because it hadn’t been killed ‘appropriately’.

Fair enough - respect!

No one does. It’s a pain to do at home. Everyone just uses instant dashi granuals or dashi bags. It’s made by shaving a cured block of bonito with wood plane into boiling water with a large sheet of kelp and then straining it to keep the broth. Honestly, no one bothers.

1 Like

Thanks - I’ve seen bonito advertised on Amazon, but suspect prices may be quite high. Will have to search a little harder locally.

Found some granules on Amazon - any particularly respected/standard brands that get used in Japan to look out for?

Ajinomoto is your bog standard “sold-everywhere” brand of dashi. They make loads of things inclyding MSG so best not to assume the first thing with their logo is dashi.

You’re probably looking for this:

images%20(4)

In jar or sachet form

1 Like

Brilliant, thanks.

I can see a very similar one on Amazon, but this 1kg offering seems better in overall value terms - any good?

Thet’s your chappy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.