Rega Aphelion Stylus

@Filipe - PRC3 for me…
People like Martina have so much passion, so much knowledge and she is happy to share. I heard Martina´s L’Art du Son Transcription Reference -Turntabel at the hifi-show and was impressed. You have to hear what an idler-drive technology can do, if implemented perfectly.
Even my humble 401 is no slouch - arrhh - the Chord Music-Cables showed me what’s in this perfectly set up turntable…

1 Like

@Filipe - my stylus right now…after a drop of Lyra SPT…

1 Like

Wow! How did you take the photo?

Phil

Can anyone tell me how many hours the Testina Clearaudio Virtuoso ebano lasts? The house for how many hours does it say it’s okay?

Eschenbach 10x magnifying glass and my trusty 4 year old Samsung phone…ah and a steady hand…

3 Likes

Years ago my livingroom had something of a damp problem, nothing major but enough that the records on the bottom shelf that were in paper inners started to suffer from mold growth. As I’d had my 17D2 for about 5 years by then I made enquiries about a replacement at my local dealership. They suggested bringing it in so they could have a look at it with their high powered stereo microscope (high powered for a stereo one anyway). They stylus and part of the cantilever were covered in black muck that was very tenacious but did eventually come off with repeated brushing with the dynavector carbon brush soaked in iso-propanol. When we eventually got it clean they pronounced it worn but not worn out. It lasted another year before I forgot to lift it at the end of a side and went on holiday. By then I had the system installed in the dining room as I had the walls apart in the living room to renew the damp course and had bought a VPI 16.5 and a load of Goldring liners.

1 Like

@Yeti, This looks mouldy!

The article on the originlive site is by a guy who worked for Linn repair dept. It’s good on the cause of issues with cartridges.

Has anyone else used Lyra SPT? Do others use a magnifying glass etc to take a close look? I must try a get more out of my phone microscope.

Phil

Linn green sandpaper is still available afaik

1 Like

[quote=“Alley_Cat, post:12, topic:5382”]
My dealer has I believe a Project version which is cheap at under £20 - ought to try one really, just not quite figured out how there’s enough room on the platter for that one to allow space for the arm/cartridge to drop.
[/quote] I use the Vinyl Passion DustBuster. I rest it on a piece of wine cork next to the platter then lower the arm onto it. Works perfectly.

1 Like

Another photo. Got the dust off, and got the phone microscope better adjusted. The Aphelion has a Boron cantilever and is of really small diameter. Not sure if it’s solid as Boron (atomic weight 10) is the very light. There is a special pad that is actually quite large in relation to the stylus.

Lyra say their cleaning fluid is mostly pure water with some magic ingredient added.

Phil

Joel, I’m curious about the shape of your stylus which starts cylindrical and then has a point. Maybe mine has accumulated vinyl dust round the base hiding a cylindrical shape.

Phil

Phil, from the Lyra homepage:

• Stylus : Lyra-designed long-footprint variable-radius line-contact nude diamond (3um x 70um), slot-mounted -
    whatever, sounding fine!

Rega agreed there were build ups and said fluids weren’t their recommended solution. They suggested a squirt of compressed air.

Well my dealer gave me the Pear Audio stylus cleaner which is 99.9…% water. I put it on the carbon fibre brush until it soaked in. The result looks good. It’s a mighty small stylus on the with a cylindrical shaft! It sounds more vibrant now.

In addition I’ve added a PowerLine to the Rega Aria phonostage and the Collaro Audio Red mat. The Red Mat make quite a big difference. I now would not consider buying the Rega Aura.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Phil

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.