Rega Aura

No never ever had 2 different phono stages connected at the same time, but i could see it being a problem as phono stages are quite sensitive and as you say, you are probably making a problem doing this, probably why you can buy phono stages with 2 or more inputs rather than having 2 or more separate phono stages connected to a pre amp.

1 Like

Possibly it sees the extra capacitance?

1 Like

@Dunc The Aria is both MC and MM. When I put both TTs on 1-2 years ago I didn’t notice. However, things have improved so much that it’s quite noticeable.

I can easily plug the Thorens in when needed.

Phil

Ripley, looking at your setup I am going to make a few adjustments to mine. I have just ordered a P10 and traded my RP8 plus an Aura for my Aria so firstly pleased with your comments on the Aura. I also have the same rack as you, I had the RP8 power supply next to the Aria, I will make sure the power supplies are together as you have them.

I was in the dealers yesterday, luckily Rega had an Aura in stock, it’s now mine🙂 We were chatting about placement as Rega recommend placing the Aura as far from the turntable as possible and to its left, where I have put it on the top of the rack isn’t causing any problems, with the platter spinning I can crank the volume right up with no discernible hum or other nastiness coming through the speakers. I did wonder if I should swop the Aura and the CD player over but I like the aesthetics of the Aura, what a pity Rega didn’t think to make the logo in the top of the case light up. I don’t know if the P10 is supplied with the same horrid wall wart that I had on my RP8, but I was so alarmed at how hot it became in use I bought this little box of tricks from Russ Andrews, a small sonic improvement but an improvement none the less. Enjoy your new upgrades!

1 Like

No, the P10 has a regular power cord going into the PSU. Be aware that the cable from PSU to TT is much shorter than P8

1 Like

Hi Dunc, I note in the instruction booklet for the Aura Rega claim a 10’ warm up time, personally I thought it sounded better if left on the whole time, as I did with the Aria, your thoughts?

…completely agree…mine is left on permanently, at idle the powe consumption must be minimal.

1 Like

Well i switch mine off when not being used, i usually give it about 30 minutes before i want to use it if i can, but can’t say i have noticed any difference with it being left on all the time.
To be far it was one of the big plus points over my supercap and superline, plus the silence thrown in as well, i am sure rega knows what they are on about.

1 Like

I leave mine on all the time, but mostly because all my other equipment is naim, which is left on all the time, so it seems silly to go to the system each time to switch just one thing off.

1 Like

Well you need to go over to the system to use the turntable, so easy to turn it on and off then, as thats what i tend to do.
But you can do as you please obviously, i just like the fact you DONT have to leave it on 24/7 and its design has a great warm up time.
Also having unnecessary things on, adding noise to the sytem can’t be good, so maybe another good reason to switch off? Plus hopefully it will last a lot long in great condition.

Just had a butchers at a utube vid comparing the P8 and P10, the P 10 has a nice solid looking PS, very different from the Neo that comes with the P8…what cart’ are you putting on the P10? be interested to know how you get on

I admit to my vanity. There was the Aria and next to it the puny Neo of the P8. Due to the rapid system evolution, the (still new-ish) P8 seemed out of place eventually, anyway, but the PS design proved an embarrassingly big draw once I had started to think about swapping. With the P10 PSU it looked very nice next to each other, but didn’t last long - Aria now replaced by the Superline 4 months after the P10 arrived :smiley:
(my dealer sold off his demo and with the Aria still in warranty it was a rather low-cost swap, all things considered. I had bought the Aria in August when my plan was still 272-2 and two weeks or so before I decided to go all-in)

I have the Apheta 3 on the P10, it’s a no-brainer especially with the package deal. The P8 had an Ortofon 2 Black. Whether the cartridge or the P10 or both, there was a surprisingly big difference from the P8. The P8 is fabulous value for the money, but the P10 makes me want to use some staid hifi metaphors :wink: It’s just so much more “not there”, everything is more together and seems to come natural.

Similarly the Aria, it’s a very fine stage for the money (as always with Rega), but the SL is a big step. (Powering from the 252). Taken all together, an extremely worthwhile upgrade, and in my case particularly satisfying as it completed a very fine system. Went from a little-ish system (P8, NAD C658 and Rotel RB 1080) to top-of-the-line Naim classic and P10 in the span of 11 months, what a ride.

Now I can direct my laser-like focus :gun: to speakers

2 Likes

I don’t leave my Aura powered either. I think Rega’s ‘10 minutes with something playing’ warm-up claim is a little optimistic but find it to be fully on song after 20-30 minutes. I usually just put one side of a record on whilst I sort my beer/dram for the session, after which it sounds pretty fine to me.

Cheers,

Ian

3 Likes

I adjusted my tracking force to 1.81gm (discussion on Rega Tonearm thread) using the counterweight only method with a scales. Seems to be as good as I could hope for.

At first I couldn’t find the Georg Solti Verdi on Requiem because the cover art is different. So the Aria sounds really good, but the digital has all the dynamics but with a better soundstage (width and space between musicians). I suppose when I get an Aura to demo in the next week I will be looking for much the same improvement.

In terms of pleasure from the music the Aria certainly delivers. Does it matter?

I also listened to Elton John’s Yellow Brick Road and ABBA’s The Visitors with similar results.

I’ve been holding the Aura off for several years now. The first time probably three and a half years ago it was brilliant (a rare equipment Wow after a week of burning in on the day I had to return it) and ticked the boxes, but an extended second listen didn’t work because I had a RCA to DIN SL hum issue.

Phil

Hope it goes well Phil. While you’re at it it might be worth demoing the P10 with Apheta 3 or Aphelion 2. It’s quite a step up from the RP10 IMO and I understand that the synergy with the Aura is special.

Thanks Dave. My dealer does not do tempting trade-ins so I doubt I will throw in a P10 + anything. They get the demo Aura on loan from Rega.

I have been slow to understand how to get the best out of vinyl. I think I had cloth ears in terms of tracking force settings although there were periods when it sounded like it does now. A cheap scales has helped as I could never get the arm to balance a 1mm above the platter. It always swayed around in an unnerving fashion!

Seems clearer now how to pick the right tracking force. Also cleaning the stylus with magic water considerably improves the mids and highs.

Phil

1 Like

Yes I know what you mean Phil about the deal side of things. Although it might be worth asking as your dealer is in the same group as mine and I think they outsource the trade ins to a third party. That being so it might be that the trade prices on RP10s are strong at the moment and the discount on the P10 also favourable?
I think setup for the Rega decks is more straightforward than others but I know what you mean about the 1mm hovering thing! I got there in the end but it took a while.
All I say about my experience with the P10 (2 weeks in) is that I haven’t once listened to the NDS…

2 Likes

Mine pretends that they stick to the agreed discount on Rega stuff which is peanuts really. If I found a better deal they would match it.

Phil

1 Like

I bought a Rega P8 from Martins Norwich and they were very helpful.