Rega Cartridge Disaster

That’s put me off MCs definitely now.

1 Like

I trashed my Goldring 2500 by accident (few years back), it was fitting the stylus guard after a listening session ironically, I was tired and not concentrating and shoved the guard in to the stylus!
That was just a stylus swop but still cost £300+, so do sympathise entirely when these carts get damaged, the MC ones can of course be rebuilt at least but that need to be rebuilt does put me off despite the sonic benefits!

Rega Atheta 3 - £1375 new - ??

£578 = 42% - ??

Ouch… :astonished:

Since I purchased the P8 in Dec 21 it’s not had lots of use, but I estimate the cart has around 100hrs playing time.

I’ve just got to put it down to pure bad luck but it’s a great sounding combo and well worth getting fixed.

Thanks to all very much for sharing your thoughts and experiences, I’ll keep this thread going as things develop… :+1:

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about your damage and glad that you can get it resolved.

Just had a look at some photos of the cartridge as didn’t know the model. The cantilever is well exposed and aren’t the wires thin. How do they solder them without destroying the wire.

DG…

Very carefully, under a microscope!

2 Likes

In some ways carpets can be preferable, particularly the highly pattered one’s which hide a multitude of sins, and anything you happen to drop on them like cartridge mounting bolts etc.

1 Like

Thanks for the link, very interesting.

DG…

1 Like

If it is any consolation I snapped the cantelever off my Aphelion 2. £1200 or so to fix :frowning:

What a great little video…!! Well done, Rega.

You should have told me earlier :wink:

Having been told off yesterday by the OP for being infantile, I want to make clear that this is a genuine serious comment.

Although it’s always distressing when you suddenly have to spend significant amounts of cash to sort out an unexpected problem, at least this one can be entirely solved with manageable cash, unlike so many of the things that can disturb and disrupt one’s life, especially as one ages.

7 Likes

It’s not too late. :grin:

1 Like

Is that response your dealer’s opinion or has it come from Rega? I had assumed when it was returned to Rega they would have a look and consider whether the failure arose from user error or latent defect.

Peter

1 Like

I assume it’s the dealers opinion based on his/her experience on these cartridges. I’ve been advised to take the P8 in so that they can remove the cartridge and send it off to Rega.

I could of course attempt to remove the cartridge myself but I’m not confident doing this so it’ll have to go back to the dealer - Rega…

Ah, yeah, see what you mean.

I’m suddenly enlightened and feeling young again…:+1::grinning:

1 Like

I really would ask to get the whole deck sent back. It’s unlikely to be the arm, but who knows?

1 Like

Yes, my dealer has asked me to take the turntable to them where I’m sure they’ll give it a good looking over👍

Have you tried steaming it?

1 Like

I moved into a brand new apartment in 2014. We’d paid for a walnut floor. 6 Naim boxes arrived with their metal staples on the boxes. Day two in, I slid boxed 250 over the floor and left a 1m gouge mark on our brand new floor in our brand new flat.

Gutted.

2 Likes