Rega DAC R

The schiit yggdrasil was a older one with older analog board but Gen 5 USB input

New Yggdrasil USD 2399 have the analog 2 board ( retrofit cost USD 550 and that too send back the dac to USA or singapore ) and Gen 5 module pre fitted

The 5 year warranty wasnt transferable too…

The asking price was USD 1850

so i dropped the idea of this Yggdrasil though people say its a good dac.

With DAC’s the obsolescence can be a very sobering thing you know… what was in vogue 2 years ago is now passe…

I hope to get a Metrum Amethyst for a home demo.

The Metrum distributor in India has a policy of paying a deposit and having the Metrum dac home for 2 weeks and i will try it.

wanted to update you…

regards

The Metrum Amethyst is home… have been playing with it for a day…

will post more impressions after a few days… maybe a picture or two.

I am having a good time comparing the same tracks on my CDP Philips CD960 vs the Metrum Amethyst NOS DAC…

I have located someone having a DDDAC 1794 … he says its a very nice DAC but i will not have the pleasure of trying it out in my rig so i will visit his home someday …

regards

Have had 2 weeks on the Metrum Amethyst

It has a nice form factor

The sound is very clear and somewhat more detailed i think than my CD 960

My stock and cheap USB cable turned out to be a show stopper and i had a nice USB cable made for me by a friend and that turned things around soundwise.

Overall its not too different sounding ( except for more clarity ) than my Philips CD960.

I hope to take a step up and have the Metrum Onyx on home demo.

I want to see what that brings to the table - maybe more intimacy and maybe more spatial cues…

I love what Metrum is doing here - allowing customers to use the DAC in their system and am grateful for it.

In the ultimate analysis - a customer will prefer to stick to what he has heard in his home rather than purchase something in a gamble just based on reviews.

I hope to get the Rega DAC R on home demo as well… ( maybe the local dealer will agree )

I have to pay a deposit but its well worth the effort and the 2 way courier charges.

regards
mpw

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.