Rega Fono MC vs Stageline S

I recently acquired a Rega Planar 6 with Aria MC cartridge and Rega Fono MC phono preamp. My previous set up was a Rega P1 with Ortofon Blue and Stageline N. I’m really enjoying the improvement most of which is down to the turntable and cartridge but I can’t help wonder what I might notice if I compared the Fono MC to a Stageline S in my current set up. I’m a huge fan of Naim and can’t help notice how much better my Stageline N is built compared to the Fono. I recognize much of that is down to the casing and most of the sound comes from the internal workings. Has anyone ever compared the two partnered with Rega and MC cartridges and if so I appreciate hearing your thoughts on the strengths/weaknesses of each. I don’t have the option to audition where I live. Thanks in advance.

The Ania and the Fono MC are literally made to work together and with the P6 make a lovely combination. I really wouldn’t worry about it.

4 Likes

Agree with what @anon4489532 says. If you are thinking upgrade, rather look at the Rega Aria, that is pretty much exactly on par with the first three of Rega’s MC cartridges.

2 Likes

Following up on that, for the cost of an Aria Mk 3 you could move from P6 to P8…

3 Likes

That’s true. Now if you get the Aria AND the P8…

Joking, that would be a better idea, Was purely thinking phono stage.

2 Likes

Thanks @anon4489532 the dealer said the same when I purchased the set up. He wasn’t aware of how the Stageline would compare and gave me a good price on the Fono as a package with the rest so I went with it. It does sound great but it was worth exploring as all of the Naim products I’ve had have exceeded my expectations.

It’s easy to be wise after the event, but you could have put a good MM on your P6 and kept the Stageline N. I use an Ortofon 2M Black with my Supernait 3 and it’s excellent. As you now have the Ania and the Fono MC I’d just be happy with it.

1 Like

@anon4489532 I considered doing that but the dealer put an aggressively priced package together that saw a deep discount on the Ania and Fono which combined was only $200 Cad more than a new Ortofon Black. I was intrigued with MC vs MM and after doing some research decided to give it a go. I am curious to compare the Ortofon Black/Stageline vs Ania/Fono and one of these days when we’re able to safely travel again and I’m in a city where I can compare them I’ll do just that. I’m keeping my Stageline N just in case I prefer the combo with Ortofon Black.

Dave, you have got the package. Please spin some more records!

2 Likes

@Christopher_M sound advice : )

1 Like

I’d ignore the 2M Black for Rega and choose the cheaper, more easier adjusting 2M Bronze.
IME bettered Ania with no IGD.

Stageline performance is very much dependent on what PSU used.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.