Rega P10 arm screws for cart

I definitely have one that came with the box, in Germany, but I bought the bundle with the Apheta so wasn’t sure if a bare P10 comes with it. But as the P10 manual says that it does, I suppose that this is the case

I will let you know who will do the job. Thanks you all.

1 Like

Hi guys, maybe you have convinced me. There’s a french sentence: “mieux vaut être servi par soi même “

So, I ask you if the following steps are right:

1. Check if the arm is correctly balanced, turning clockwise or anti clockwise the counterweight.
    First question : do I have to settle the VTF back to 0 or can I leave it at 1,75 gr as already settled ?

2. I put the stylus guard , then I unscrew lightly the 2 screws and bring the cart more on the front.
    Then I check with the Rega protractor is the cart is correctly aligned.
    If yes, I screw the two screws. I should also be able to see the cantilever through the hole, but it’s not guaranteed as I have poor eyesight.

If you choose to respond and help me, please, don’t complicate me the task, as buying a stylus force balance, a microscope, etc….:laughing:

1. Set bias to 0
  2. You will need the tracking force to be something low.
  3. Loosen the screws.
  4. Slide the cartridge until the stylus is at the reference point (you will need the stylus guard off).
  5. Make sure that both the cartridge body and the headshell are parallel to the lines on the protractor.
  6. Once this is achieved: tighten the screws, set the tracking force and bias.
  7. You are ready to go!
    Make sure that you are using a Rega protractor…if you print one from the internet, the size will change.
    Let us know how it goes please.
1 Like

For the first point, set the VTF to zero, and also the anti-skate. Then carefully move the weight so that the arm is balanced closely over the platter. (You want to remove the mat just in case). Caution, the arm will move to the outside although the anti-skate is zero.

When done, set the VTF and the anti-skate back to the desired level. I would check with a scale as there is always some deviation when balancing the arm.

The procedure is described in the Rega manual.

As for the alignment you are on the right track, is this not also in the manual? I forgot. I think there are 2 additional marked spots on the protractor where the alignment should be correct if you lower the stylus there.

Oh and I think you want to first align and then balance as the alignment influences the force obviously

1 Like

All seems clear, apart:
If I align after the balance, it changes the balance . So better do first the balance of the arm, then set up the VTF back and anti skate, then align the cart.
Or
First do the alignment, then do the balance and settle back the VTF and anti skate?

This Rega protractor

?

Or this one?

Set anti skate at 0 for the alignment, only reset at the end. Any low VTF will do for the alignment, even 1.75g … but no more.The top of these 2 protractors

1 Like

I borrowed a Rega protractor, first picture above, from my dealer shop . My dealer is on holidays, but the guy working with him said to me that normally my dealer used the protractor. I will see in a couple of hours if the set up is correct.
The Lyra France guy is apparently not recommended….as for turntable set up. He probably said silly things about the ability to see the cantilever through the hole. I don’t see how it’s possible now.
As the sound is very good, I tend finally to think that all is correct.
But of course I will check and tell here.

This is all pretty incredible. Does anyone know what they are doing? LOL

I should have trusted my dealer. And only checked, before posting this thread, with a Rega protractor. However you advised me to do it, it was the only thing to do, before debating and discussing different possibilities.

As you can see, the cart is perfectly aligned. And as the sound is so wonderful, it would be very curious if it was not the case.
THANKS ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT

1 Like

Maybe it’s can be aligned for 0,5 mn ….but will it change something. The picture can not be accurate too. On eyes, it seems perfect.

Great, now it’s time to enjoy!

1 Like

Maybe my eyes, but does the cartridge need to be further forwards??

Just be aware that Rega uses Stevenson, which might not be best for your collection of records.

And another thing which I think no one mentioned. When changing any setting, do so with the arm in the armrest, and only take it out to check. Might take longer, but will prevent costly mistakes.

The cart is apparently well aligned, the sound is very good. My dealer tried by ear what sounds best and find that set up optimal.
So for now I think it’s better to leave it as it is, and on September, after the shop holidays, I will ask him why he choosed not to put the cart more forward. For now I prefer not to touch anything.

As posted above, here another pic of the Kleos settled by another dealer. Apparently it’s not always on the front.

Here another set up, with Lyra Delos.

Still on the back

Remember…you are looking for the correct set up of the RB300 on a Rega deck.
The RB3000 on a Rega deck has only one correct alignment (Stevenson.).
All other types of alignment will be correct at one (or two) places on the deck, but incorrect elsewhere.
It might still sound good though, but not at its best.