Rega P8 and Pro-Ject Cover it

I decided to go for the Pro-ject Cover it RPM1/3 which looked better quality than the made to order.

I was using the plinth and cover but then I had to move it all so i could briefly run another deck in its place. It’s a bit of a faff if you have to move it and then I thought OK, why not try running the deck naked for a bit and see how you feel. However, I needed a cover for it and the Project was not expensive, looked good, and fitted nicely over the Fraim glass, so…

As for the difference, I can’t say I’ve heard any - the RP10 sounds as good as it ever did. So long as the outer plinth is correctly positioned it should not interfere with the main part of the deck.

2 Likes

In that case, I think I’ll leave my RP10 as it is … with its Rega outer plinth :grinning:

1 Like

Yeah, mine is going back on this weekend I think.

1 Like

The Pro-ject RPM1/3 Cover It arrived in double quick time and is a perfect not too big or too small. I’ll take some photos over the weekend also my 2mm Rega spacer arrived so will get that put on too.

2 Likes

Be interested in the pics. Where did you get the cover from finally?

Richard - how does the cover deal with cables exiting at the back of the deck?

I have my P8 up on some isolation platforms so I may also need to RPM5 as the 1/3 might be too low.

The back has the middle lower edge cut out for cables. There are also smaller hand hold cut outs on the sides.

1 Like

Yep - I tried it without the outer plinth. It sounded the same and the faff of no dust cover means it’s better with the outer plinth in place.

2 Likes

How is the back supported if the back middle lower edge is cut out. As far as I can see, there’s only the wood that the rear Fraim leg sits on to provide support?

At the moment, the cables themselves support it, but I’m going to fashion a sort of mushroom piece that will fit either over the glass stop piece or in the recess for the glass stop piece.

The answer is to get a Planar 10, which has a nice little cover. You could then repurpose the Pro-ject cover as a propagator to get those seeds off to a flying start.

My Cover It actually sits perfectly onto the ‘Isolation’ P1 plinth beneath my P8 and the whole thing looks very neat and tidy to my eyes and my better half is also happy well as happy as she is ever likely to be with a hifi and a wall full of LP’s in her living room.

I don’t like the covers that just cover the platter and the arm. That was another reason for getting the big Project cover, just in case I ever decide to move to the P10 or perhaps a mooted “P12”.

1 Like

That P12 has been in the state of mooting for quite a while. One day maybe…

Here’s some photos of my new Pro-ject Cover It.

6 Likes

Looks great. Does it have form of rubber grips on the bottom edge to stop slip?

Looks like I’ll need to 5 to clear my isolation plinths - unless you’d be kind enough to measure the inside height for me?

If you Google it then both internal ad external measurements will come up.

1 Like

The p1 plinth is a neat trick! Nice one

Yes had it left over from that previous Rega project Hifi-dog and it fits quite well with the Cover it.