Rega P8 set up or 282 + 2nd HICAP?

I’m feeling the upgrade itch… So, what’s it to be? A first venture back into vinyl or upgrade the current system with a second hand 282 AND adding a second HICAP to the system?

I’m very aware that the hidden cost in the P8 route is actually buying some vinyl, but I’m feeling the tug towards it. However, the 282 would be a wonderful upgrade especially with the second HICAP.

Decisions, Decisions…

I’d go for the 282 but with a single Hicap DR. The money saved by not getting the 2nd Hicap could go towards something like an RP3 and a Naim Stageline (you’ll need a phono amp), powered from the 282.
This would allow you to dip your toe in the water with vinyl to see if you like it without spending too much to start with.

4 Likes

Start by just buying some Vinyl… :smiley:

1 Like

282, single hicap dr, P3 plus mc cart and rega fono.

4 Likes

I would also go for a 282, the upgrade from the 202 is substantial and works really well with the NAP200. I used this combination with an NDX (original) for quite a few years. The 282 is good enough to be an end game pre-amp.

I also wouldn’t bother with a 2nd HiCap but keep the money in the wings for a 250DR when the time is right.

As to vinyl, it’s great but a labour of love and it splits the funds between sources. My lovely Xerxes is currently mothballed and to be honest I don’t miss it.

4 Likes

I would suggest a Rega 3 with an MC is unbalanced. A Rega 3 in a 282 system is not really going to show what Vinyl is about.

2 Likes

I have found it to be an excellent way to enjoy a mc cart. So much so that I have a Hana running on my ‘spare’ P3 in to my 82 in the study. Of course it isn’t the ‘best’ but then it is to my ears better than the mm set up I previously ran.

1 Like

I would go for the 282 and Rega Plana 3. It’s a great compromise. I have an 82 and the 2nd hicap did make a good improvement. So it is a another good option.

I’ve had a Rega Plana 3 bought 30 years ago. Subsequently had a Linn Axis and now Linn LP12.

The Rega Plana 3 is a great start up turntable and will allow you to get into vinyl. You can always upgrade it later for something else.

A 282 will give you alot more than the 202 and will be a great match for a 250DR or even 300DR.

1 Like

And if you don’t mind unmatched boxes the 82 serviced is a great preamp for half the price of a 282. I don’t think there is that much between them. Could be a good move to get an 82 and better turntable, or the 2nd hicap?

1 Like

Going from a P6/Ania/Stageline to a P8/Apheta/Aria was a huge step up in sound for me (I also have a 202…). i’ ve always found adding power supplies to be more subtle and the improvements they make are often overstated.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry too much about what people being ‘logical’ gave to say. If your heart says get a P8, then get a P8. It’s a great TT and much better than the 6, and even betterer than the 3. One of the issues with a 282 or indeed a 202 is that you need a separate phono stage. If you get the 282, forget the extra Hicap. You’d be best moving to a 250DR and adding a PS to the streamer before thinking of upping the PS, and then it’s best to go for a Supercap rather than two Hicaps.

It’s threads like this that make me pleased I’ve now got a simple Supernait 3. It’s up there with the 202/200 and has a nice MM phono stage, so you can plug your record player in the back.

4 Likes

282 +1. P8 is too good for a 202.

No it’s not.

1 Like

I would buy a xps dr for the ndx 2

1 Like

Considered that, my thought is that I need to bring the amp set up more in line with the NDX2 before that move. But yes, considered it.

1 Like

I’d be surprised. It’s good enough for the NDX2, although possibly not yet showing off it’s full potential.

Perhaps before going down the better amp route you could try to hear options at your dealers. Say you get to 282/250, and then get a PS for the NDX2. Do you want to go there, spend all that money? Top sources and a modest amp can work really well. It’s at least worth giving a listen. An XPSDR and Rega 8 would be great with your 202/200.

2 Likes

I would leave the NDX2 as it is for now. Go for your dreams. If you can get the Rega Plana 8 and a 282 or 82 at the same time it would be mega!

Effectively a source first proposition. Definitely worth listening to if you are able to.

Buying blind on forum recommendation is fine but to listen for yourself and be able to decide what you like even better.

The OP has so many options.

Other thing is, what is it you are working towards in terms of your system? Do you have a dream system or a system you want to work towards?

For example if you want 252, 250DR system then don’t get another hicap. Go straight for Supercap. And if you want an ND555 go for the 555PS and not the XPSDR.

Try to factor this in so it takes less moves to get to your dream system.

Or enjoy it as it is! You don’t need to upgrade. I’m sure your system is fine as it is.

1 Like

So true. The points you make capture perfectly the reasons why I didn’t ask anything on here before my wholesale change last year. It’s really important, as you say, to know where you are going, otherwise it’s just floundering about.

2 Likes