Rega P8 set up or 282 + 2nd HICAP?

I know where I want to go with my system but funds are limited until I reach 50 when I get a lump sum from a pension in 20 months time!

But I look and listen to what I have and I wonder what am I chasing?

Anyway, I want a 552 with 500. Upgrade my speakers. Very happy with sources. Maybe upgrade power supply and tonearm on Linn LP12.

But I am in a very good position. Maybe I will spend the money on something else and stay put. I will review the situation nearer the time.

You have to live your dreams but also be sure about what your dreams are and if the system you get will satisfy them.

1 Like

My P8 202 combo would respectfully disagree with this. It sounds sublime.

We’re at the margins of performance here anyway where diminishing returns kicks in hard. A 202 might give you 80 to 90% of the performance of a 282 which gives 90% of the performance of a 552…

Of course we’re all passionate enough about this stuff to be chasing that last 10% all the time but it’s easy to forget or underplay just how amazing sounding the mid tier stuff is. Where I l live a a P8 set up into a 202 is almost 15k so it should sound utterly sublime for the price

5 Likes

No a 202 is definitely not 80 percent of a 282.

The 282 has much superior bandwidth and has a massive bigger soundstage compared to a 202 which sounds constrained by comparison

Also a 282 is more musical has more resolution and sounds more controlled …

But still I would say source first

1 Like

Well that’s me told!

2 Likes

I think what you say is spot on, other than the percentages, which are impossible to apply to something subjective and and usually encourage challenges. I use my P8 very happily with my Supernait 3 and it sounds great.

2 Likes

In my opinion, a P8 with a good quality cart and phono is on Ndx2 / 555 dr level. It’s really a top source for not crazy money. It deserves a better pre than the 202.
But as others said, it depends where you want to go.

Says the man who in the end doesn’t have a Naim preamp

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

3 Likes

save me some :joy:

2 Likes

Running a P8 with a 282/250DR/HC here. The P8 is a superb performer and I have no inclination to upgrade to the P10 for such small gains in SQ. The 282 is the star of the Naim range imo and I really do feel I have reached the end of the upgrade road. Might add a Headline and swap the HC to a SC at some point but that will be it.

1 Like

Then you’ll need the 252 :flushed:

I had my P8 with a 282 and they worked beautifully together. Prior to that I had a 202. The 202 really is a poor preamp. I think it’s the smelly uncle of the Naim line-up and no doubt will be dropped in due course, so selling yours now could be prudent. The 202 and 282 are incomparable and I completely agree with @frenchrooster that a P8 would be a much better match with a 282. The 2nd Hicap on the 282 did nothing for me. It added bass but in a flabby, murky way. I much preferred the single Hicap, but I suspect this has been discussed to a crusty skeleton. Both my 202 and 282 were used with a 200 before moving on. The 282/200 is so good; with the P8 it was magic.

*edit - I think the 202 is a poor preamp full stop; not just for Naim

2 Likes

Perhaps he’s owned a 202? In which case his opinion is as valid as anyone else’s.

1 Like

I disagree here. A P8 will be just great fronting a NAC202/NAP200.

And a NAC202 is a fine pre-amp, unless it’s faulty or in need of a service. Yes, a NAC282 is better, but so it should be at twice the price.

3 Likes

It’s just great fronting a manky old Supernait 3 with its manky inbuilt phono stage too. Back in the day the Linn LP12 and Nait 2 was considered very acceptable, so there’s no reason a Planar 8 isn’t an ideal partner for a 202.

1 Like

Thanks for this input. I think there’s some clarity coming here. I have a high class input already in NDX2 and for many years I’ve thought that the 282 might well be my end goal.

There therefore seems to be a logic in upgrading the amp set up to show more of the NDX2 and then add the P8 in the future.

Suspect this might be the route to take!

As ever many thanks to all for the views and opinions! It’s all been very helpful.

1 Like

That makes sense if you don’t want to experiment with vinyl. My P3 suggestion was the experiment, but if you like vinyl then the P8 is the right choice (and you could have moved the MC cart from the P3) :slight_smile:

I think one of the challenges I have with going for a more intro level TT is that my digital source with the combo of NDX2 and Qobuz etc, is a very high quality source, and as someone warned me, I’d need a TT that was capable of matching that quality level, otherwise I’d just feel disappointed. That point of view made a lot of sense to me.

2 Likes

We have an NDX2/555PSDR and the Planar 8 sounds just as good to me.

2 Likes

I think that is my next step, the ndx2 route, but for me I need the onboard Amazon HD functionality.