Rega Planar 10 vs Lp12 Majik

Have you installed a spacer on the Planar 8 for the Ortofon Black?

A sacrilege for Suedkiez :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

No. I won’t get into the math again, @frenchrooster had to endure it :slight_smile:

If you ask Rega or read their book, they will tell you that it does not matter and show you the trigonometry. Or read the article about VTA on tnt-audio dot com and do the trigonometry yourself.
In any case Rega would argue that the loss of rigidity is worse than a miniscule VTA deviation. (It may be different if the cartridge height is very far off, but this is not the case with the 2M).
And no, I did not compare with and without spacer, it may have been interesting but I sidestepped the whole question by buying the Apheta.

I know that not everyone agrees, but nobody I know disproved the TNT audio article. You have to make up your mind without me :slight_smile:

In any case, it is irrelevant for the question at hand. Spacer or not, I did not compare the P8 and P10 with the same cartridge, so my experience does not prove anything. That’s why I mentioned HH, who did (though maybe not with a great one).

For the OP here, my only advice is that just because they preferred the Majik over the P8 is no guarantee that it will be the same with the P10. Maybe yes, maybe no.

Yes, I compared the two using a Rega Exact. The 10 was significantly better, but things really took off when I swapped the Exact for an Apheta 3 and an Aria, which is what you’d expect really. The reason for swapping 2M for Exact on the P8 was surface noise. I used a spacer with the 2M and was glad to get rid of it with the Exact.

4 Likes

I had a Rega Plana 3 from age of 18 and sold it about 18 years later as I wasn’t using it. It held it’s money alright when I sold it. It was my first decent turntable.

Then about 7 years ago I got the vinyl bug and got myself a Linn Axis which was pretty good.

Moved to a Linn Lp12 and bought off the bay based on looks. New lid, plinth was beautifully sanded and recoloured and varnished. Certainly looked the part.

When I got it home I had it serviced by Audio T and was told pretty much that the bearings were shot on the Akito tomearm. So I got Audio Origami to repair the bearings and they performed lots of upgrades on the arm and it’s all good. Changed the Valhalla to Lingo 1, got the Lingo 1 serviced. Had Kore and Cirkus upgrades, new cartridges, etc.

Anyway, what can I tell you? I simply love my Lp12 and it sounds fantastic. Probably around Akurate level now, or a little below. Looks amazing, sounds amazing. I’m considering upgrading tonearm at some point but want to get a good few more years out of it before going for Ekos 2 or SE tonearm. Probably do the Radikal upgrade at some point.

But all that can wait and based on funds permitting. I’m just enjoying it for what it is.

In hindsight, if you want a used LP12 be really careful what you buy used. Ideally get from a good dealer like Cymbiosis and get everything set up and checked.

I generally buy used Audio equipment to save money. And overall have found great deals.

A new Linn LP12 Majik is going to very good. But a used LP12 with an upgraded tonearm like an Ekos 1 or 2 or Ittok and a Lingo power supply is going to be better still for not dissimilar money.

A Rega Planar 10 is going to be easier to set up, to live with, less hassle, less upgradeitits, and overall more value for money to buy.

But I chose an LP12 and I love it. It has character and looks like a classic.

Obviously people recommend what they have. If I had a Rega Plana 10 then I would rave about that!

11 Likes

I think anyone considering a Majik should at a minimum budget for replacing the “PSU” (if I can call it that) for at least a Hercules. It makes a huge performance difference for almost no money.

In any case, I wouldn’t suggest buying any of the official LP12 levels, actually. Much better to get in touch with a good dealer and put one together instead.

5 Likes

It’s a good move to replace power supply with Majik. A good dealer putting together a quality used deck with something like Ittok, Ekos 1 or 2, Cirkus bearing and Lingo 1 would be great. And a good start for an LP12. Probably cost around £3k for a great deck. And then leave it for 5 years or more and enjoy.

2 Likes

I’ll keep it short…I compared Rega P9 / RB 1000 / DV XX-2 Mk IIwith and without spacer…was clearly better without spacer.

4 Likes

It depends where it’s used. I’ve been listening to the Exact on a P6 through quite a revealing phono stage and it sounds superb. May be sample dependent as well…

1 Like

Had a demo and preferred the linn but not much in it.

Now, choice of plinth colour, debating between oak, walnut and black ash.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Congrats. Preferably a color you like :wink:

I like walnut, wife likes oak.

Didn’t know what ages best etc.

That’s a problem. And I hadn’t considered aging with my plastic TT :slight_smile:
Maybe the “Show us your Sondek” thread helps? Lots of pictures and plinth discussions

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.