Rega Planar 8

As a thought

The local dealer recently got the Vertere DG-1RP in stock. So we got to listen to it next to a Rega Planar 8. We both felt the Vertere was a clear step up from the Rega, even with the stock MM cartridge on it.

I can’t recall what phono stage each was played through, so it might not have been a completely fair comparison, but I was quite struck by the difference. I’d be keen to compare the Vertere to a Planar 10.

As you said the phono can make a big difference. What is the price of the DG1?

I’m following this with interest. I’m pretty much decided on the RP8 for Christmas but prefer the look of something with a wood plinth. What else performs as well as the rp8 straight from the box, at a similar price and has an old school look

Hmmm.
Maybe a good quality “vintage” Linn Sondek LP12, with fluted plinth. :wink:

£2,850 including the Vertere MM cartridge, £2,750 without. I believe the cart is based on the AT-VM520. It’ll probably have been shown through the Vertere Phono-1 at about £1,000.

2 Likes

I paid 3250GBP here in Sweden without cartridge :see_no_evil: Really enjoy it besides a squeaky belt that is to be replaced and hopefully solves it.

I listened to one through FM Acoustics amps into PMC MB2 SEs, and it wasn’t shown up by the high end gear. Fantastic deck, really musical. (Still prefer my TMS, but the DG1 came closer than I expected.) I suppose you pay for shipping and possible distributor markup.

Had an LP12 in the pasty. Stored it in my digital years and when I decided to get it out of storage and refresh it, the cost of refresh was eye watering, plus I remember the constant adjustments and improvements that eventually put me off. I sold it for good money. This time round I want something out of the box and play some vinyl. The Rega(s) I have do fine and the rp8 is the ultimate for me in their range, but the looks are just a bit modern.

1 Like

Rega P7 maybe?

Acoustic signature have a very good reputation. Made in Germany.
Here the Manfred mk2. 2k.

1 Like

You can found still some VPI classic. Around 3k. Discontinued recently.

I hope you didn’t damage your teeth. It’s amazing what finds its way into baked goods.

2 Likes

Liking the look of that, not so sure about the VPI

I use both Rega and Linn. Both work very well for me. So, no particular bias.
Lot’s of other options with wood plinth, as suggested by others…

I think you mean the Planar 8 as the RP8 has a solid plinth that can be part removed leaving the skeletal plinth.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.