REL Subwoofer Naim NAIT 5

The cable that REL sell that’s split to run to the speakers is a version of their rather more expensive Bassline Blue upgrade cable. I dare say it’s a good cable but there are other suppliers who can make one up for a more reasonable price.

The problem is that it’s a PITA, given my speakers are mounted high up in the corners of the room and not really practical until I change my speaker cable.
Might be a good excuse, of course.
I haven’t noticed anything untoward with my Nova in terms of sound or temperature, so I may just leave it.

If it works OK connected at the amp end you should be fine. My dealer insists that it’s unnecessary to connect at the speaker end, and he’s a well established Naim dealer who also sells REL subs. He always connects to the amp when installing systems for customers.

I use two Rel T5i subs connected at the speaker ends using their supplied cable and located in the room corners just behind the speakers. Much better bass than when using the L/R sub out of the SN2 in my case.

This a timely post for me. I’ve been using a REL with a SN2, connected to the speaker terminals on the amp (recommended configuration from my dealer) for a couple of years. At the weekend I got a 250DR to replace the SN2, connected it up as before. I was very dissapointed - loss of detail, just not engaging - and I ended up putting the SN2 back in for a couple of days. Yesterday I tried removing the REL completely, and yes, it’s now sounding as great as I’d hoped it would :grinning:

If I want to connect the REL to the speaker terminals, then one of the three wires of the neutrik cable won’t reach. Can I use a spare piece of cable (mains or speaker ?) to extend it rather than buying another whole cable ? It would mean two of one length and one much longer - is that a problem for driving a sub ?

The cables doesn’t need to be anything special. You could just use the REL cable but split wider at the speaker end. Otherwise, we used to use Chord Ley line at the factory for connecting the n-Sub at high level, as this cable was thin, unobtrusive and cheap.

1 Like

Thanks. I must have some cheap speaker cable somewhere, will give it a go at the weekend

Is there any way to use the tape monitor on the NAIT 5 as a low level output to the Rel?

The problem with the tape output is that it’s fixed level. You need an output that varies with the volume setting.

If you add a Flatcap to the NAIT 5 (you’ll need a SNAIC4 and SNAIC5) then you can use one of the two other pre-outs on the Flatcap to feed a subwoofer. Note though that it was never designed to drive a long interconnect, so use a low capacitance cable and load it with a suitable (100R?) resistor.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.