Relative Risk during the pandemic - our physical and mental health

Hope all goes well, I think we are capable of surmounting many major problems, the real difficulty is when there are more than one occurring simultaneously .

I have a cousin with Lupus and Dyslexia , an odd combination throw in the isolation coming from CV19 and an inability to now communicate vie email and I think this has been *very bad.*for her in long term ways.

3 Likes

I got ill around end march/april, it felt like a mild flu with a cough and headaches which lasted for about a week, then it went away. “Well this Covid thing isn’t so bad”, i thought to myself, and i didn’t really expect otherwise being a healthy 43 year old who went to the gym 4 times a week.

Three days later i was walking home with some groceries and out of the blue my fingers started tingling. Then my toes, my feet, my arms, then both my whole legs. I started getting dizzy, and within a minute or two i barely couldn’t walk anymore. I managed to get home and fell on the couch.

The next 48 hours were probably the worst i’ve felt in my life and the first time i’ve felt truly mortal. I remember thinking “So this is how a 90 year old can feel, just before the end”. Parts of my body were shutting down and coming back in waves, everything was struggling to stay functioning. My mind was hazy and i kept seeing flashes of light and random incoherent images. The second night i was too afraid to go to sleep because i imagined not waking up again, so i stayed up all night sitting on the couch, my body tingling all over and sometimes shaking.

After a few days things slowly improved, and after a week or so i felt alright again, what a relieve. The next period i felt rather okay overall. I bought a hometrainer to get back in shape, started doing daily walks again, did some yoga and meditation in between.

Then about one month later i woke up one day and felt like a train had run over me, i was completely exhausted. My voice was really hoarse and i felt out of breath, i had no energy to do anything but sit, and maybe do one daily 10-15 minute walk outside. It lasted for about a week, maybe two, before it slowly got better and i was able to get back to my normal routine.

About a month later it happened again, with the same symptoms. I went to my GP who checked everything out and had extra tests done: i was supposedly in excellent health. Yet i felt like a trainwreck, it didn’t make any sense.

Now 6 months later i still have these recurring phases of going in and out of exhaustion. They take about 1-2 weeks each, where in one phase i feel quite fine and try to function as normally as possible, then in the other i am tired as dogpoo and can only do the bare minimum. I’m still quite hoarse a lot of the time.

There is a very slow overall improvement i think, but i was told that in the case of post-Covid recovery it is expected to take up to 1 year for affected neurological systems to fully restore. So i will just have to stay patient and hope that in time, i will fully recover and can get back to my joyous lifestyle of before. Staying optimistic and positive is one of the tools i keep trying to employ for that, it’s the least i can do. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Very easy to forget how animals can be such an important part of our lives.

Our cat died a few years ago, we really could do with a companion animal to cheer us up I think.

3 Likes

Agree, it is really hard times for humans and you think more of meaning of life and that nothing is safe with the future. You have responsibility of your life and happines. This is where Naim and music is important; listen to music in a good hifi system is one of best things in life and makes me happy. it doesnt have to be expensive, as long as it makes you feel good. :blush: take care

1 Like

I lost both my cats too in the last few years, this period is really where i miss them the most. They were always such a comfort to just have lazying around, doing ‘cat stuff’.

2 Likes

Those longer term effects you describe sound awfully frustrating.

Glad to hear you’ve managed to stay optimistic throughout. Hope things improve rapidly for you.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the negative effects on your loved ones.

1 Like

Strange times, but it must be worse for their immediate families.

Undoubtedly, I wasn’t certain if they were family members or dear friends.

I was going to mention something about resilience and will-power - I’ve seen conflicting views as to whether or not these are finite resources that can be depleted with repeated need for them. I’d consider the last few years generally pretty miserable for me for a variety of reasons, largely just too many things to try to deal with generally meaning I’m spread too thin and perhaps haven’t handled several things to my satisfaction. Many of these things however were completely outside my control, others potentially are but I’ve found myself too distracted generally to engage with some things I really need to deal with. Ultimately a lot probably comes down to pride, and we know what that can lead to!

It’s also odd (perhaps not) that until my 30’s I had few worries or concerns. I think reactively taking the wrong fork in my career path (on a matter of principle I shan’t bore you with) was the start of things. I wish I could say that I enjoy my work, but I don’t, but pride prevented me from going back to the fork in the road and changing career direction - it just wasn’t done in those days and would have been seen as a lack of commitment.

3 Likes

Not strictly about Covid, but a nice life lesson that is pertinent to this thread.

2 Likes

Hope this is OK to post here, it is an open letter from an ICU nurse that describes one day of her working life during the pandemic. I found it a very moving read for many reasons, one of which is that I have often seen one of my neighbours who is an ICU nurse on their way to and from work for many years and have never seen them looking as exhausted and drained as I do now.

Something thing that doesn’t get enough attention is the toll that the pandemic has taken on the hospital staff working under extreme pressures to save peoples lives. When thinking about the balancing of risk we have to consider the risk not only to the patients but to all the staff and their families.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.